We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to purchase in Geneva?

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
What to purchase in Geneva?

What are the items people tend to come to Geneva for and purchase? Is there anything that stands out that you should get while in Geneva? (i.e. Geneva, Switzerland = chocalates and wine)

Any input would be appreciated!

Corey

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

You forgot the cuckoo clocks!

I stock up on chocolate (will be there in two weeks for my fix). One Geneva specialty is "Poubelles de Genève" (literally trash cans). These are shaped like cans in plain and milk chocolate filled with ganache (fresh cream and chocolate mixture). Best place for these is Chocolats Rohr, and the most convenient shop is in Place du Molard. There are also Pavés de Genève.

Otherwise, it depends what your tastes are. You can get anything in Geneva (at a price). Cuckoo clocks aside, Geneva is a watchmaking centre.

It's not the cheapest place to buy things, so apart from a very few things (like the poubelles) that you can only get there, you might find it's cheaper to buy Swiss-made goods in Paris!

Mostly what I buy are "comfort foods" from my youth!

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

you can get very nice pewter in geneva - very simple designs, very traditional, yet quite modern. and pave chocolates are a must - these are little soft squares, dusted with cocoa powder. they're called genoise.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

When I go I get requests to bring back chocolates and Swiss army knives. Sure, you can buy the knives pretty much anywhere, but they're a bit cheaper in Switzerland. And the selection is impressive. Oh, and I usually take a cruise through the Coop--I love the dried beef-type stuff (can't remember what it's called), and I can always find fun foodstuffs. I claim it at customs, but never had any problems with getting things through.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

The dried beef is viande sechée, usually "des Grisons". Yummy stuff, and you can get it in sealed packs that don't need refrigeration, so you can take some back to Illinois.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

chocolate of course, go to Migros, there is a big one at Balexert (shopping centre) near airport, on the bus line. Public transport is superb and reasonable. You buy a prepaid ticket at most tobacconists, this will give you credit on a number of journeys. You put the prepaid ticket into bus ticket machine.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

Cuckoo clocks are from the Germany, Black Forest.

The Canton Jura is famous for watchmaking, Geneva makes the odd watch as well.

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

I think a cute (and yummy) souvenir is a chocolate marmite with marzipan vegetables inside it

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to purchase in Geneva?

Yup but wrong time of year. They are only available late November through the middle of December.