We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car insurance advice

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Rental car insurance advice

I would appreciate any advice on what insurance options are essential for a rental car. I am picking up the car in Geneva and driving to Nice. I believe that my credit card will cover the CDW, but I am uncertain about the other options such as Theft Protection etc.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car insurance advice

If you have an AMEX card you can sign up for their "Premium Car Rental Protection". There is no annual fee, but when you sign up for this and rent a car using your AMEX for payment they will automatically add a flat fee of $24.95 to your AMEX account. From my understanding, this is complete coverage (including theft) for up to $100,000 for up to 42 consecutive days of rental. It is also primary coverage so your insurance company stays out of it (CDW is usually secondary coverage so usually really only covers your deductible). It is good everywhere but in a handful of countries (Israel, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, a few others I don't recall but the info is on their web site. I just found out about this and signed up for it today so don't have any experience with claims. Here's the link:

https:/…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,028 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car insurance advice

Are you going to Switzerland at all? There is a French side of Geneva which offers cheaper rental prices than the Swiss side.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car insurance advice

If you are going to drop the car in Nice it is essential that you rent on the French side of the airport otherwise the drop charge will be horrendous. However when you do this you will most likely not have an autoroute sticker and if you plan on taking even 100m of a swiss autoroute you must have this. You can buy one (40frs) at the Customs Post between Ferney-Voltaire and Grand Sacconnex. They take credit cards.

As for insurance - make sure you have personal liability insurance as well as insurance for the car. Many people have this either with their home insurance policy or their car insurance. But check it out!

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car insurance advice

Thanks so much for the very useful advice!

I am renting in Geneva, driving to Nice and returning to Geneva.

Suplemental insurance doubles the cost of rental!

My research determined that I was covered for CDW, theft, towing etc,

by my VISA signature card, but not by my Mastercard.In order to initiate coverage, I have to use my VISA card for the rental and decline the CDW offered by the rental agent.

Here is a useful link: …visa.com/personal/visa-signature/benefits/a…

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car insurance advice

You do realize that trains go from Geneva to Nice, right? Trains don't requre auto vignettes and extra insurance and tolls and parking and petrol.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car insurance advice

Yes, I was aware of the trains, but , we are stopping in Avignon and Aix on the way to Nice.

Thank you for the reminder though.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car insurance advice

It is a whole lot easier to drive or fly to Nice from Geneva than to take a train. And the vignette is only good in Switerland... not France where you pay tolls. Further the cost of renting a car and transporting 2 or more people is most likely less than the train fare...especially since the person concerned is going to drive back t switzerland, so no drop charge...

8. Re: Rental car insurance advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 24, 2012