We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning - Avis car rental scam

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
warning - Avis car rental scam

Please be aware of this scam by Avis in Geneva airport.

We booked a 4 x 4 on their website a day before travelling. We were advised at the time of booking that it was not yet confirmed and we would receive confirmation later on. we had to leave our mobile number in case they needed to contact us. We left our numbers but nobody rang.

Arriving in Geneva, we were told the car wasn't available and that they had no cars available at all.. We asked what we should do and the very rude member of staff suggested we go round all the other desks, then come back to him afterwards if we had no joy. He might then decide to have a look to see if he could find a car- "because he was a nice man"!!!!

Eventually he decided that he did indeed have the 4 x 4 but that it would cost us twice as much as their web quote.

Needless to say we didn't take him up on it and booked at europcar.

I accept that the booking hadn't been confirmed, but can't accept the following:

1. Why didn't they call us and let us know there would be a problem?

2. Why was the operator downright rude and sneering instead of helping?

3. How come they suddenly found a car after all?

Be warned, this is a scam to get more money out of you and I don't recommend Avis at all.

67 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

DO NOT USE AVIS CAR HIRE! We visited Spain in July 2013 and hired a car, booked earlier in the UK through a website called DoYouSpain.com. We arrived at the Malaga Railway office and paid with our credit card.

Once back at home in September, we received a letter from Avis Malaga stating that the Spanish authorities had contacted them regarding a traffic violation we had committed. Neither of us have ever committed a traffic violation or had points on our licences, but fair enough - we were in a different country and perhaps had made an error. Avis deducted £34.00 from our credit card as an administration fee for them 'passing on our details'. They said that the Spanish authorities would be in touch soon with details of their own fine. Several months later, at the close of 2013, the Spanish authorities have still not been in touch.

When we contacted Avis Malaga, they have said that they "cannot find the name of the Spanish authority they gave the information to". What?! If we committed a traffic offence, why have the Spanish authorities not been in touch with us? And why can't Avis pass on the details of the authorities so WE can contact them? This has lead us to believe this is a huge scam that Avis (or that particular office) is making a healthy profit from. DoYouSpain has been of no help either. Avis are LYING, CHEATING SCAMMERS - we will obviously never use them again.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

see response on SPANISH thread (this is a SWISS thread!)

you got caught breaking some law, and you received a fine, which was paid by avis. totally legit and you signed for it.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

@ nacatoli do you find funny upsetting people? get a life man

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

and your input is..............???????

Geneve
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

UloHerc has done an excellent job at explaining the truth. I myself have taken plenty of fraudulent charges "lying down" and have paid additional insurances to avoid the fraudulent charges. I have used all the major and many minor companies too, and it is true they are all the same. The reason I don't fight is that I never have enough evidence nor enough time and energy to follow through. Even if I photograph every car before and after the trip, the chances I can prove anything with my photographs is very low. I agree the best punishment for them is bad publicity. So let's get to it!

Bratislava, Slovakia
3 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

Similar experience with Avis in Birmingham, UK week ago:

We booked a car week before our journey and provided our card number to confirm reservation. Flight was delayed by 3 hours and when we came to the AVIS office, they told us that they have no car for us available. Only for extra charge bigger car which would actually cost us twice as much as we planned. We refused and asked what will happen now - because there was "no-show" fee in the booking confirmation + our card number was provided. They assured that nothing will be charged. 4 days later, upon our return back home suddenly sms from our bank account - transaction from AVIS - no show fee.

These people are just thieves lying into your eyes and collecting money from your account upon their free will....

Never again with AVIS....

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

but their terms and conditions clearly show that the car will only be held for a set time after your booked time. they cannot tie up a car for a full day in case you have actually cancelled your trip. this is normal with all rental companies.

however, if you provided your flight number at time of booking, and your flight is delayed, then the car will be held for an hour after flight arrival.

no matter who you were renting from, the exact same events would have occurred.

Verdun, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

Avis car rental scam.

Rented a vehicle in Amsterdam.I recd notification that I drove 4 km over speed limit,and paid fine of appx. 40 euros. to the Amsterdam agency that collects fine by wire transfer.

Avis charged my credit card 42 euros to provide my name to that Netherland agency.

Stay away from them as they take unfair advantage for simple administrative function of providing renters name..There is no way that this administrative charge can be justified.Obviously ethics is not a factor in Avis dealing with their customer base.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

get over it! it is not a scam,

ALL rental companies charge an admin fee for providing the info of the driver, to the authorities. this is clearly stated in the terms and conditions.

Verdun, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: warning - Avis car rental scam

Being professional involved with Agency that tracks drivers license I know that it merely takes minutes to pull info electronically and transmit

The point being not whether there is justification but at what price?

Reply to: warning - Avis car rental scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted