We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva Airport Car Hire

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva Airport Car Hire

A friend told me that one of the car hire companies brings the car directly to the airport, which saves having to take the bus to the car rental area. Problem is, he doesn't remember which company and I can't see any sign of it on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

Hi, I don't know about that, but the bus to the car park is very handy. It goes from right outside the rental office, to the car park just literally a few minutes away. They go every few minutes, I've never had to wait more than 3 minutes.

It's not a hassle like it can be in othere airports where the rental cars are miles away from the airport. It's very efficient and no problem. Also easy to find when you return.

Hope this helps

Midlands UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

Hi

This post may be too late but the company you want is called "Rent Occasion" - they do bring the car to the airport but may sometimes park it quite a walk away. We have had quite a few problems with them (damaged cars, no car available etc) and as a result have stopped using their service.

Hope this helps

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

The rental car parking area is in Parking 51 (I thnk!) which is not that far from the main termal. The major rental car companies will get you to your car very quickly. I would not really want to rent from a lessor known company, nto for airport convenience, but for other issues related to rental cars like breakdown service, availabilty of cars etc etc

Belfast, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

i will arrive by train at geneva airport train station (gare geneve aeroport) (this is on the swiss side). i must then get to the french side to hire a french car. can i do this ok? i have an irish passport.

then i will travel along the swiss Autoroute 1 and cross the swiss customs at Bardonnex into France. drive to the hotel near the A40 road. is this ok?

to return the car can i use the Autoroute 1 back to the airport and access the secteur francais. is this correct? or do i have to drive right around to Ferney-Voltaire to get to french car hire return?

car hire is less expensive in the french side.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

When you get off the train at the airport (and this IS the Swiss side!) just go up from the platform on an escaltaor. Then walk towards a second escalator that you will see at the end of the building. Take this up one floor, walk out of the station bulding and into the airport building at Door 1.

Keep straight ahead and you will see a sign "France". Follow that. You will then be in the French sector of the airport. You do not need to show a passport.

Rent your car. Follow the road out of the French sector until you come to a T junction at the Border post. Turn RIGHT. At he Swiss Customs you will need to buy an autoroute sticker, 40frs. They take francs, euros and credit cards. The follow signs for the autoroute and Lyon.

You drive about 15 mins and then cross the border at Bardonnex.

Getting to the Bardonnex crossing is quite complicate if you do not take the autoroute. You can do this, and avoid paying the Swiss toll. But you wold need either a GPS OR a ViaMichelin ro Google map.

To return your car to the French side of the airport you simply reverse the process. You must cross into France - whether at Ferney Voltaire or some other crossing doesn't matter - and you take the same road from the Ferney Voltaire border post into the airport that you used to get out of it.

France and Switzerland are both members of Schengen so your passport is not an issue. (Wouldn't be anyway...)

Belfast, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

can i access the secteur francais where i return th car to from the autoroute 1 by driving back up from the bardonnex border crossing or do i have to do a big loop around geneva avoiding switzerland and coming through ferney voltaire? One takes 15mins the other over an hour according to google maps.

Edited: 3:23 am, September 30, 2011
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

No - use the Bardonnex crossing (you will already have bought your vignette and this is valid for a year - or at least the 2011 ones are valid until 31 Jan 2012!. Continue in the direction of "Aéroport" but get off at the "Grand Sacconnex - Ferney Voltaire exit". Follow signs to Ferney Voltaire - watch out because there are two slightly complicated roundabouts, but it is well sign posted. Cross the border at Ferney and turn LEFT immediately after the Douane buildings. This takes you on the perimeter road, inside the airport fence, and brings you to the rental car return on the French side.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

I would NOT recommend Rent Occassion. Booked with them via Holiday Autos.

1. They do not operate from the car hire area, they will "meet" you in area 68 of the terminal car park.

2. They do not "meet" you or have any facility there, you actually need to ring them to bring a car to you

3. Unless they are bringing a car for someone else - in our case they collected a car (a filthy Fiat) and drove us to their office 5 mins away

4. A fleet of Fiat Puntos, arrrrgh!

5. Upon returning the car they ask you leave it in zone 68, keys in the glove box

6. at no point is there a rental contract (so could be problematic if for any reason you are stopped by police)

7. There is no 'proof of return'.

8. There are some negative reports elsewhere on the net of car condition, spurious charges etc.

Whilst I am sure Rent Occassion operate with the best of intentions, it is too informal for me to try again.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

"occasion" in French means "secondhand" and what is described in the previous post certainly sounds like that!

I always use Hertz. But Avis, Europcar etc are all present on both sides of the airport.

Newcastle, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Geneva Airport Car Hire

Beware Rent Occasion. !!

Our car was damaged on arrival (broken headlight). It had a defective set of snow chains and then broke down completely on the way back. No assistance was offered. The company suggested we found a local mechanic! No recovery offered. We left the car by the side of the road and got a cab. It cost us £250! When we got out credit card bill we found Rent occasion had taken a further £450 from it for no apparent reason! This left a total cost of about £900 for a week's car hire!