We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train trvel in Switzerland

Scotland
11 posts
Save Topic
train trvel in Switzerland

Hi, I am (with my family - wife & two boys 9 & 11yrs) visiting Switzerland in mid January. Need help & advise from Experts please !!! I & my wife hope to get swiss passes.

1.Is it possible to buy at the Basel airport/station ?

2. Is it valid in city Travel eg. Zurich, Geneva ?

2.We want to Try GLAZIER EXPRESS & GOLDEN PASS LINE . Does it make much different from the normal trains running through the same route ? Can I catch the train in midway (Glazier express at CHUR to Zermatt & Golden Pass at Interlaken to Montreux) ?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

All the info you need is right here:

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…sts.htm

Yes, the passes are valid on the urban transport systems of most cities, certainly the larger ones. You can buy them at Basel Station without problem.

The main advantage of the "scenic routes", if you have the time, is that they are slower, and so you get more chance to admire the scenery. You also get a commentary. I think it is possible to board at an intermediate station but I have never done this.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

Hi newcomer001,

Yes, your instincts are right. The "scenic trains" only have cars with big windows and a big marketing push; there are many, many trains that go over the same route and that are cheaper and that don't require reservations. So of course you can travel from Chur to Zermatt and from Interlaken to Montreux without paying for the whole scenic thing.

You can get train schedules for your routes at www.rail.ch. For the route from Interlaken to Montreux, be sure to use "via Zweisimmen" or else it will route you the quick way via Lausanne & Bern. That's not scenic. The scenic way is slower, but worth the time, in my opinion.

Have fun!

s

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

The new website for information about the Swiss Travel system is www.swisstravelsystem.com/index.php…

Be sure to ask for the free STS Family Card and the children will be able to travel for free. mct.sbb.ch/mct/…swiss-pass-familienkarte.htm

Scotland
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

Thanks swandav,worldvoyager,dough324. Taken note of your advice.

From Interlaken to jungfarjoch is it always via the cable cars? Are there trains ? If there are can I use the swisspass ? or what is the easiest way to reach "top of europe" from Interlaken?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

From Interlaken Ost you can travel to Junfraujoch on normal trains (Regios). It takes just over two hours and involves two changes.