We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train trvel in Switzerland

Scotland
11 posts
Save Topic
train trvel in Switzerland

Hi, I am (with my family - wife & two boys 9 & 11yrs) visiting Switzerland in mid January. Need help & advise from Experts please !!! I & my wife hope to get swiss passes.

1.Is it possible to buy at the Basel airport/station ?

2. Is it valid in city Travel eg. Zurich, Geneva ?

2.We want to Try GLAZIER EXPRESS & GOLDEN PASS LINE . Does it make much different from the normal trains running through the same route ? Can I catch the train in midway (Glazier express at CHUR to Zermatt & Golden Pass at Interlaken to Montreux) ?

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Chur
Chur
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

If you buy your ticket from the Swiss National Tourist Office in London you could then use your ticket on the bus from the Airport and this would enable you to head straight for your train without any extra hassle.

Two adults travelling together get a reduced price swiss Pass and children travel free but inform the SNTO who will issue you with the documentation.

The Swiss Pass is valid on and in local tranport on most of the cities in Switzerland a list is provided with the Swiss Pass.

Chur is a major destination on the Glacier Express route being the capital of the Canton Graubunden.

The Golden Pass line is in fact done in three parts with two changes of train but in reality not many people do the whole route in one journey but use it to transfer them to their holiday resort and as link between the three major area's of Luzern, Interlaken and Montreux.

I suggest that you buy the book Switzerland.Rail.Road.Lake.by Anthony Lambert published by Bradt. www.bradtguides.com

On arrival in Switzerland buy the Official Railway Timetable (Kursbuch) and Map (Karte)

Check out www.myswitzerland.com for details of passes and how to contact the SNTO.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Chur
Chur
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

You'll get your swiss rail pass at the Basel main station, 80m yards from the point you'll leave the airport bus.

slainte m'hath

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

Look at easyjet.com. It's REALLY cheap (seriously, like $20-30). Can't remember the exact destination choices leaving from Geneva, but I think there were inter-Switzerland options. Unless you were really wanting to take a train, this airline is quick, easy, and cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

Can't see what your point is 'tcgirlie'!

I think that the original poster wants a railway holiday!

Easyjet now flys to and from Basel and is developing is as a 'hub'.

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

I can't think of anything more useless in Switzerland than buying a "book" of train times??? Just ask the ticket agent at the train station. Tell them where you want to go and what time, they will print out a card for you listing the date/time/train #/track #.

I really would not recommend buying a book and then having to carry it around with me. In murren there is a train station on both ends of the little town so it couldn't be more than a 10 minute walk to the closest one. Also with the advent of the "Internet" you can check train times from any internet point at www.sbb.ch to find everything you need.

Mentioned in this post
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

Did you not know that the Official Kursbuch is a best seller in switzerland?

The Swiss are the second nation in the world in the number of trains journeys taken per person, per year.

The railway system is such a high density that there are many indirect routes you can take and the Kursbuch is an invalible aid particulary if you are using a Swiss Pass.

The Kursbuch comes in two parts the first containing, train, boat, funicular and cable car timetables, the second part is for bus routes and city transport, though for the first time this year I believe that the second part is only issued on request.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

So does that mean that if I go to the station and ask at the ticket counter, the ticket agent will not know about the trains/times/shortcuts that the book lists?

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

Why waste time asking at the information counter when in posession with the Kursbuch you could work it out yourself?

Railway clerks tend to book and advise customers the most direct route.

If you are travelling with a Swiss Pass and have the timetable at hand you can break your journey,change routes, ditch your plans together all with confidence without going to consult a railway official.

At Swiss stations you will find many yellow and white posters showing the departure and arrival of trains indicating the appropiate platforms.

Again it must be pointed out that Switzerland has an intergrated public transport system making connections seemless,once you work it out its very easy.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train trvel in Switzerland

It's not really a waste of time since you're going to be in train station anyway. Also real people can give you up-to-date real-time information like closures or detours...something that books cannot do. Yes, the book obviously has information that's useful. But if I had to choose to carry around a book that's over 3.5 inches thick, I might rather have a laptop. That way, I not only have all of the train information at my fingertips at www.sbb.ch, but I would also have access to the rest of internet and all of its vast resources.

Preferrably I would rather carry neither. Talking to the locals is half the fun of travelling.

The virtues of the Swiss Travel System speak for themselves. I've always advocated Swiss Public Transport over renting a car.

It's useful to know that neither the book nor the web is a requirement for easy transport on the Swiss Transport System.