We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange information

Karachi
2 posts
Currency exchange information

Hi everyone,

Do you believe its better to take Euros or Swiss Francs with us when arriving/staying in Geneva?

If we are carrying Euros, what are the best places to exchange Euros into Swiss Francs?

Is there usually a commission charged?

Is it flat per transaction (makes sense to exchange more at one time) or a percentage of the transaction value?

Are the exchange places only open for business hours or later in the evening/night as well?

Cheers

Faraz

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,261 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Currency exchange information

Hi, the currency used in Geneva is Swiss francs. If you have a bank debit card, I would leave cash in the bank and use an ATM to get cash - much safer. If you must carry cash and decide to take Euros, you can change it at the banks for the best rate. Also, there is a currency exchange at the Swiss Rail office in the main train station in Zurich so I would assume there is one in Geneva as well. The rate there was very good the one time I used it.

Hope this helps.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,111 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: Currency exchange information

Just to second your other response, use a bank ATM to usually get the best rate and safest use of cash.

Swiss francs is the currency, but I've also had luck using Euros if you need to.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Currency exchange information

If you do have spare euro's you will be able to spend them in most shops (notes only) but they will give you change in francs. You can use up euro coins in some vending machines (eg to get a bus ticket).

4. Re: Currency exchange information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:33 am, April 08, 2014
5. Re: Currency exchange information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 02, 2010