We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

geneva hotels

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
geneva hotels

hi,we're going to geneva in july and the hotels look pricey.Any ideas for hotels across the border in France.How close are these hotels to geneva,are they within walking distance or a bus ride away? Thanks for any tips...

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: geneva hotels

Are you looking to stay in Geneva because this is where you are flying into, or because you particularly need to stay in or very close to Geneva? If not, you might want to consider some of the other lakeside towns including Lausanne, Vevey or Montreux. I'm very fond of the Montreux/Vevey end of the lake, and it's easy access by train straight from the airport train station.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: geneva hotels

No hotel in France is walking distance to Geneva (city), but there is a good bus service (maybe 30 minutes to the centre).

If you try Ferney-Voltaire, near the airport, there are a few hotels depending on your budget. Check the reviews here to see if you fancy one, I never stayed in one so don't want to recommend.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: geneva hotels

thanks for the reply,I had this idea that geneva was right on the border with cheaper hotels on the french side.I do want to just visit and check out geneva though.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: geneva hotels

Cheapskate.Pay the price.Not all hotels in Geneva (one of the most expensive cities in the world) are that expensive.One thing I know from my many visits to Geneva is that you don't get ripped off.TA can help you choose a reasonably priced hotel. Just input Geneva hotels in the box top left. I stayed at Hotel Tiffany on my most recent visit Oct 2007 and I thought it was excellent for the money.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: geneva hotels

Beware of staying too far from the centre. Although the public transport is excellent Taxis are extremely expensive. It depends on your personality but I have always found that around 10:30-11:00 at night (after a few wines or beers) I give up waiting and take a cab. Just from the centre to the airport area is 30SFR or more so the saving on a cheaper hotel disappears. To go back to a French hotel would be very expensive (never done it myself)

6. Re: geneva hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, September 18, 2009