We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Just received call from family member staying at Geneva Crowne Plaza Hoel who has been told their luggage is lost! We do not speak French and need to contact airport authority about the lost luggage. What do we do? Thanks for any and all help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Tell you relatives that a hotel such as the Crowne Plaza certainly has bi-lingual and probably multi-lingual staff that will assist with this problem. All they have to do is to go down to the lobby and ask at the front desk.

United States
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Thanks for your post, however, the problem is the hotel staff seem quite unconcerned and less than helpful. Airport personnel only speak French and their website is also in French, so trying to communicate with them regarding the luggage has been a challenge. As I've learned from past experience, if you want something accomplished, you must be proactive and do it yourself. I'm in the USA trying to assist family due to language barrier and they have no internet access right now.

Sydney
Level Contributor
263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Tell your relative to go straight to the General Manager of the Hotel, introduce yourself as a guest, and ask for his help in this matter. I will bet he/she speaks some English. He/she won't ring himself, but he will direct the Front Office Manager to assist.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

I am very surprised that the staff of the Crowne Plaza seem unconcerned. I've stayed with that chain and other hotels within that group many times and rarely had anything but the best service. The hotel staff would seem unconcerned if they were approached as if they should find the luggage but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't translate for a telephone call to the airline. Certainly, if the manager is also unhelpful, I would telephone the corporate headquarters for the group (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com) and ask for guest relations to assist you to get the Geneva hotel to do their job. If that doesn't work, then suggest to your family that they go to any travel agent and ask for help to either call the airline or to hire an interpreter for a telephone call to the airline. Also, if it is a US carrier, you could call their passenger services here in the States and ask for help. Are they American Express members? If so, they can go to the AmEx office in Geneva and get help - one of the benefits of membership. For the future, there's a group called the International Airline Passengers Association and they offer superb luggage tracing services to members - there's membership fee but it's well worth every penny when you lose a bag because they are (or at least whenever I've needed their services) excellent at getting them back.

Hope this helps

Zurich
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

you might find some useful numbers in the following link

www.gva.ch/en/Desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-203/

good luck & cheers,

bowmore

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Hallo Dablonde,

I think they must contact the airline they travelled with and not the airport. Unless the luggage was lost between the airport and the hotel (?) then it is the airline that is responsible so far that I know.

tak

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

Sorry reading my posting again I realised I shoule have said that it is the handling company for each airline that is responsible. here is some info:

Break/lost suitcases (bagage tracing)

For bagage tracing, please contact directly the concerned handling company. To know the handling company for each airline, please consult the airlines summary table (pdf 0.1 MB check-in the day before).

Swissport +4122 799 33 32 *

Jet Aviation +4158 158 14 76

* Only for travelers having already established a file of baggage tracing at Swissport: interactive system of the service luggage tel. +4143 812 87 77.

or:

www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-49/

Tak

8. Re: What Happens When Airport Loses Luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 04, 2009