We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit via London

Level Contributor
5 posts
160 reviews
Transit via London

I am travelling from the Caribbean to Geneva via London . Arrival Gatwick 9 am. Departure heathrow at 2 pm. With such a tight window to traverse and change airports I need to know from now whether my luggage will be forwarded directly to Geneva or whether it has to be collected at Gatwick first. Traveling on British Airways and both flights were booked at the same time. Please respond only if the answer is known with certainty. Such knowledgable assistance would be very much appreciated.

18 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,734 posts
1. Re: Transit via London

I think you will get better answers if you:

A) ask it in the right forum, eg. The air travel forum.

B) ask it directly at the airline...

Level Contributor
5 posts
160 reviews
2. Re: Transit via London

Thanks. Got the answer in the one world site:)

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Transit via London

As you've found out you need to pick up your luggage and make your own way to LHR at your own cost. This connection is not recommended. You need to check if BA will honour your ticket if you miss the LHR flight. In the past BA did not, this may well have changed, so check.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
346 reviews
4. Re: Transit via London

It’s not that tight. It takes an hour max from Heathrow to Gatwick unless traffic is really awful, and you’re outside rush hour. You have a couple of hours wiggle room.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Transit via London

If your flight to Gatwick is more than about an hour late, you could be pushing things. At Heathrow you cannot pass through security if you are trying to go through too close to your departure time...something like 30 minutes if I recall correctly. Allow 30 minutes to clear passport control and collect you luggage at Gatwick, say another 15 to find the bus going to Heathrow, an hour for the drive to Heathrow (unless there is bad traffic or an accident on the M25......), 10 minutes to get to a check in desk from the bus (not allowing for any line at the checkin) - as you can see it's at least 2 hours from plane to security at Heathrow where you must pass through by a certain time or you will be denied. If everything goes right, you have scads of time but it won't take much to start to cause problems. Most folks I know who drive the M25 with any regularity wouldn't bet on there being no traffic, no delays, etc. as it is a very busy highway and there are frequent accidents, road works, etc. that cause long delays.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
43,133 posts
201 reviews
6. Re: Transit via London

I think KM is understating the time involved. The M25 is atrocious. I would allow at least 3 hours...or more.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Transit via London

Well, JT14 seems to think it's a pretty easy transfer, I think it's somewhere in the middle and H. thinks it's atrocious. I have driven around the M25 several times in the past months, on different days of the week and at different times of day.....the worst thing I find is that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to use to know if you will have traffic issues. It is loaded with traffic pretty much all the time and so the smallest accident or even a one car breakdown can cause huge tail backs. Sometimes I've thought the time of day and day of the week would mean I need to allow extra time but have sailed along arriving early. Exactly the opposite other trips. If the OP has his booking on the same PNR or is on a refundable tickets from LHR, no worry really but if the ticket and its cost would be lost and a new ticket would have to be purchased, I would want the 5 hours as a bare minimum for getting between the two unless the lost funds aren't particularly worrisome. Or possibly consider the train into London, taxi or tube over to Paddington and take the Heathrow train from there....takes longer if there are no serious traffic problems on the M25 but is a bit more reliable maybe.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
346 reviews
8. Re: Transit via London

Google Maps puts it a 45-1hr5mins at 10.00am on a weekday. I'd say that's about right, and I'd also call that 'bad traffic' because it is only 40 miles on a 70mph limit 5 lane motorway (ie. you would feel like you are crawling in nose to tail traffic). It's motorway door to door. The road journey itself can't take more than 1.5 hours unless there's a major major accident. You have 5 hours. It should be fine, and assuming it's one ticket with BA, there are plenty of later flights to Geneva they can put you on.

Level Contributor
5 posts
160 reviews
9. Re: Transit via London

Thank you for all the helpful replies. This connection was not my choice and I am trying to see if it can be changed - but if it cannot the responses have been mildly comforting :)

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Transit via London

There's a 15;10 flight from LGW, strange you weren't offered this. It most probably worth changing even if there's a cost, this will be offset by the bus/taxi fare to LHR. When things go wrong on M25 there can be long delays. Also if you are travelling n winter London airports do suffer with fog causing delays.

Check the rules on your ticket, some fares offer a same day change. If it looks as if you'll miss the LHR flight you can change, I think it's, up to 1 hour before departure.

Good luck.

Reply to: Transit via London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted