We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Geneva end of March 2018 , suggestions

Davis, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Geneva end of March 2018 , suggestions

Hello,

My husband and I will travel from Venice to Geneva at the end of March and have 6 days to spend in Switzerland. We were considering renting a car and staying for a four days outside of the cities to take in the countryside, do some day hikes (if possible) and then the final two nights back in Geneva. I am looking for suggestions on a good location to stay for those 4 days, we'd like to check out the Mattehorn, of course. Any advice from seasoned travelers will be appreciated. The Italy leg of our trip is quite structured and we are hoping for a more relaxed pace in Switzerland.

3 replies to this topic
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,765 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Geneva end of March 2018 , suggestions

Hi leahgoodwin1 and welcome on the forum

I would recommend to use our very comfortable public transport system for your trips to and within Switzerland. One way fees for cars can be very expensive and it is not sure that the roads between Italy and Switzerland will be snow and ice free in March.

You could base yourself at car free Zermatt - www.zermatt.ch - from where you can see the Matterhorn and where there are nice excursions in the area. For more destinations along your routing look at www.myswitzerland.com . For other great bases look at https://www.valais.ch/en/home and www.montreux-vevey.com and the Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum on the TA website).

Happy planning

pore

p4

paris london
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Geneva end of March 2018 , suggestions

Why are you going to Geneva if you don't know where in Switzerland you want to visit? Geneva is in the far west of the country; Venice is to the east. It would make more sense to travel to St Moritz by train (a largely scenic journey), then Zermatt by train (again, scenic) before your visit to Geneva. If you want to stay in one place, Zermatt would be the one, and you'd get there fastest by travelling directly from Venice by train.

And are you aware that 'the countryside' will be largely cloaked in snow, at least at elevation? If you want to hike, you are pretty much restricted to the major ski resorts, where the a limited number of routes are maintained.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,762 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Geneva end of March 2018 , suggestions

From Venice there is a direct (no change) train that leaves Venice S.L around 1530 and gets to Brig where you change for Zermatt around 2100. You will arrive in zermatt at about 2300. That is really the best way to go if you do not want to waste a night getting there.

OR - Venice to Milano Centrale (2+ hours) and then Milan to Tirano (2hrs30) and Tirano to St Moritz. In March this probably means ending the journey in the dark and the last 2 hours are the most interesting... so not very good.

Then as nomarmite suggests - Glacier Express to zermatt and spend a night or two. (At least two I would say). then to Geneva.

You could - with 6 days or so - have 3 nights around St Moritz (look at Sils Maria) www.engadinstmoritz.ch

and 2 in Zermatt www.zermatt.ch and then one in Vevey or Montreux www.montreuxriviera.com

For trains: Venice to Tirano -- www.trenitalia.com

Tirano to Geneva - www.sbb.ch/en and www.berninaexpress.ch www.glacierexpress.ch

Reply to: Arriving in Geneva end of March 2018 , suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted