We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland in january

State of Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland in january

Hi! Me and my husband, we have from 05th til 10th january to know a little bit of this country. From 11th til 13th we'll be already in Zurich.

My questions are:

- Is it a good ideia to stay in Bern as a "base" and visit Geneve, Lausanne, Montroux, Gruyere, and so on by train or car?

- Is it easy to drive in winter? Or is better to travel by bus or train?

- Just to spend the day or only a night in some ski station, which one is better (for me, as I have few days): From Geneve to Chamonix? From Bern to Zermatt? From Bern to Interlaken? Just to spend some time, hanging around, eat some nice food....

- and at last but not least: Need to sleep over in Lucerne or can I spend just a day also going from Bern?

I don't know if I was clear enough...

Thank you!

1 reply
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,741 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland in january

Hi MarieCoui

You can not have one base for a visit of all the places you mentioned. You would spend to much time travelling around.

Do NOT drive during winter time if you are not used drive on snow or ice covered roads. Better use public transport which is an experience on its own. Public Transport brings you nearly every were.

The Zermatt and the Jungfrau areas are very popular among the skiers. Look at www.zermatt.ch and at www.myjungfrau.ch .

I would recommend to spend at least 3 nights at the same base as where ever you go there is so much to see.

Do not stay at Interlaken but go to one of the mountain towns which you find on the my Jungfrau link above.

Berne and Lucerne are easily reachable from each other by train - see www.sbb.ch/en -. As nice Lucerne is, on a day excursion you can not see the area which is even more worth your time.

Please study the Top Questions about Switzerland (TA Switzerland forum on the TA website) for basic information including public transport, driving etc. etc.

Happy planning

pore

p4

Reply to: Switzerland in january
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted