We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport Geneva-Annecy

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Public transport Geneva-Annecy

Hi,

Is there public transport available to travel to Annecy from Geneva ?

Thanks

25 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

I have found this bus service from Geneva to Annecy. Is this an good option to choose? Viator tours are only half day. We want to spend full day in Annecy. Can you please guide me if this service is direct service or do we have to change anywhere?

transdevhautesavoie.com/media/upload/FH_ete/…

transdevhautesavoie.com/en/transalis-t72-ann…

We are staying in Ramada Encore, which will be nearest bus stop where we can board this bus?

paris london
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

This is the only practical public transport between the two, and is direct and reliable. You are staying in the Carouge district, so Jonction is probably your closest stop (check with the hotel when you get there). However Place de l'Étoile is also not far, and gives you more options (as some services appear to star or terminate there).

Do be aware that it is a popular service, and if you get on anywhere other than the start of the route, you may not find seats together if you are travelling with companions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

Thanks

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

Ramada Encore is far from the center. So you would need to go back downtown (Bus 4 or D), walk to the coach station (about 10 minutes) to grab the coach to Annecy that could well then pass in front of the Ramada Encore... If you can drive on "our side", then you might well be better off renting a car.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

This is the link to the schedule of the public bus we took from gare-routiere in geneva to annecy france.

geneva.info/gare-routiere-departures-timetab…

Shelbyville, NT
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

I'm kind of dumbfounded at how hard it is to get from Geneva to Annecy on the weekend. This reminds me of public transport in the U.S.

The T72 has 5-hour gaps in weekend service. And some buses only leave from the Etoile Park-and-Ride instead of the center of Geneva. What's the easiest way to go from the center to Etoile to catch the T72?

SNCF's website isn't showing me ANY transport from Geneva or Annemasse to Annecy. But trainline.eu shows plenty of options, including SNCF bus-train combinations, and few direct trains from Annemasse. Is it worth taking the 61 bus to Annemasse and the train from there? Can I trust this schedule, since SNCF isn't showing anything?

What is the SNCF bus? Do they operate it themselves, or is it someone else's service which they code-share?

Why isn't there better service? Was there a direct train in the past?

Edited: 4:22 pm, November 07, 2017
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

Welcome to France. The French have a great long-distance train network and an all but non-existent local network. From the end of 2019 Annecy will be part of the Genevan local train network (Léman Express) and you'll have hourly trains between Geneva and Annecy, but until then it's a desert.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

Trains to Annecy normally leave from Eaux-Vives train station in Geneva. But it is under full reconstruction... Hence the bus service. That being said, French public transport as not as efficient as Swiss ones, hence your disappointment...

Shelbyville, NT
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't mind bus service. I do mind any service that only runs 3 times per day.

It's also frustrating that my initial search on SNCF's site found nothing. Maybe because I was on the Reservations page, but this is an unreserved service? That's some terrible programming. How am I supposed to know if a service is reserved or not before I even know if it exists?

I did find the bus and bus-train combinations if I searched on SNCF's Timetables page.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport Geneva-Annecy

The bus service does *not* run only 3 times a day. There are multiple departures, at the weekend too, so please check the schedules provided in post #1.

Bear in mind that as per post #8, a full rail service will resume the year after next. It is not an attractive business proposition for any bus operator to finance the set-up of a full service in the knowledge that the demand will soon drop away.

And also bear in mind that the (lack of) info on SNCF's site reflects the design of the website, not the underlying service. Being a French rail company, not an international bus company, I am actually pleasantly surprised they provide any information at all.

Reply to: Public transport Geneva-Annecy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted