We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance with rental car shuffle at Geneva Airport

Arizona
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Assistance with rental car shuffle at Geneva Airport

I've kind of done things backwards this time around. We're traveling by train to Valence and then picking up a rental at the TGV that we'll use for a couple of days as we travel around Southern Rhone. The rest of our trip has us going through Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and dropping the car in Itlay.

The challenge I've run into are the costs accositated with picking up a rental in Valence (or any other sizeable town in the vicintiy), driving into eastern europe and dropping in Italy are prohibitive, if even doable with most rental agancies. The option I've been able to work out is to rent an Avis car in Valence and return to the French side of Geneve airport and pick up another Avis on the Swiss side of the ariport to continue our journey.

My question is if anyone has dealt with returning a car at the France side of the airport, then cleared customs/immigrations and headed off into Switzerland. I'm trying to determine how much time/hassle this will be.

Thanks

Brian

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assistance with rental car shuffle at Geneva Airport

Going away from your question, why don't you lease a car through ideamerge? If you're going for more than 18 days, this may be better and although there is a fee to drop the car off in italy, it isn't horrendous and you can drive through switzerland and eastern europe with it.

I'd try to answer your original question but i'm sure someone out there has experience. My guess is that it is pretty easy considering the airport is never that busy and switching countries is a breeze (when you have your passport).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assistance with rental car shuffle at Geneva Airport

Hi

There is no real hassle in doing this.

We had some visitors recently who picked up a car on the French side of Geneva, drove around Europe including visiting us in Lausanne , and then dropped the car back there. They then went through to the Swiss side (its all one building) and then caught the train back to out place for a couple of easy days before flying out.

Seems a reasonable plan.

regards

Steve

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assistance with rental car shuffle at Geneva Airport

No hassle at all. Just return the car during the oppening hours. I once had to rent a car from Marseille to return to Geneva after our flight was cancelled. It was 4 am by the time we reached Geneva airport and there was not a living soul on the French side (the doors between the French and Swiss side were closed). I had to call a taxi with my cell phone who came from the Swiss side of the airpot all around through the main French border (Ferney-Voltaire. You need to access the French side of the airport from Ferney-Voltaire - sign at the border) and then back to the airport on the Swiss side.

Just remember to return the car between 8am and 7pm.