We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares from US

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
266 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Airfares from US

Our son and his family are being transferred to Geneva. We are interested in getting some good plane fares from the midwest. (We live in Cincinnati but can fly from surrounding cities.) What are the cheapest months to fly? Is there another city in Switzerland that might have better fares? Any airline or website that offers really good deals?

Thanks for the info. I have to see my grandchildren at least a couple of times a year!

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Airfares from US

Hi kileysmom - I am saving all of your posts and printing them out for future reference. I have done this with many other posts on this forum throughout the past couple of months.

Having a bottle for water will be essential when walking and hiking, and I had wondered what the best way to do that would be. As for keeping a daily journal, I will definitely be doing this each day. This might be a good way to spend time on the train too, even though I won't be on the train every day. One thing I know I will go overboard on is taking pictures. I've been known to take WAY more pictures than necessary, so I'll have to contain my excitement or at least edit my pictures each day (deleting the ones that are either not so good, or are "duplicates".)

Thank you again!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Airfares from US

You're very welcome. Please be sure to post a trip report so that we all know how you enjoyed yourself and others can learn from your experiences! Oh, when in Zurich, try to check out a small little shop on the pedestrian street in Old Town called the Schnapps Boutique. A small decanter (she sells little VERY inexpensive (3-4 Euros) decanters to fill with whatever of her goods you like) of her cinnamon or walnut liqueur is a great treat for sipping or putting over ice cream and having a bit to remind yourself of the trip! I bring it home as gifts and everyone wants more the next year! She also has gourmet olive oils, vinegars, etc. if you like those things and the decanters are very sturdy and she wraps them well so you can put them in your checked luggage without fear of breakage.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Airfares from US

Another airplane not too far from Geneva is Lyon Sattolas; of course it is in France, but it is closer than Zurich. I've actually never used it, so I can't give you any good advice, there may not be flights to the US there. People who use Lyon airport either take the train or a coach to Geneva

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Airfares from US

If you use www.kayak.com and click on the "show nearby airports" box it will show any flights from Lyon Satolas. It will mean a connection though, most likely Paris, Amsterdam or Milan.

You may well get an excellent fare though.

Jersey City, NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Airfares from US

Contrary to conventional wisdom, you might find an open-jawed ticket cheaper than a round trip one. I'm researching a summer trip to Germany and Switzerland and I was suprised to find a Newark-Franfurt and Geneva-Newark ticket offered for less that round trip between Newark-Frankfurt or Newark-Geneva. Also, Kayak and similar sites are good sources of fare info, but in most cases these days, you're likely to find a cheaper fare on the airlines web sites. I found the cheapest ticket for the above route on the Continental web site. you might also consider going to Paris and taking a fast train (about 3 hrs) to Geneva.

Good luck.

26. Re: Airfares from US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 24, 2009