We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

Hello,

My parents are Syrian passport holders and they both have valid multiple-entry visit visas to Canada. They plan to visit me in Canada and they may be transiting through the Geneva Airport on either or both ways of the their roundtrip (Beirut-Geneva-Toronto-Geneva-Beirut). Will they be able to transit through the Geneva Airport without a Schengen visa?

Thank you for your help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

Asking volunteers on a travel website about such things is not wise! I suggest you call the Swiss embassy in Ottawa

(613) 235 1837

and ask them.

That said, I doubt seriously there is any need for any type of visa to simply transit an airport as long as they don't intend to enter Switzerland during their layover. If they stay "airside" while they wait for their next flight, they will not enter the Schengen area.

Be certain, though, and call the embassy in Ottawa. This way you have the information from the official source.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

Thank you for your reply. I saw similar questions on the forum with helpful replies and that's why I was encouraged to post my question here! :) .. I find your response very helpful. Thank you very much. I will contact the Swiss Embassy.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

You could have a quick look at the Timatic visa database. Several places to find it, but I use this

staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Definitive answer will be at a Swiss consulate.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

Very helpful. Thank you! I used the database and got the answer of "TWOV (Transit Without Visa): etc" for the specific situation I asked about. I will verify this with the Swiss Embassy/Consulate.

5. Re: Syrians transiting from Canada to Beirut via Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 15, 2015