We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L'Escalade

Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
L'Escalade

We are visiting Geneva over the weekend of L'Escalade. I have the programme from the organisers website but I was wondering if someone could please tell me where is the best place to stand to see the parade on the Sunday evening. Also are there any stalls selling hot food or mulled wine? I think some of the restaurants may close on Sunday so any recommendations for a good value lunch and evening food on the hoof would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,075 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L'Escalade

Here is a link to the actual route:

1602.ch/images/…FlyerEscalade2012Anglais.pdf

I personally think the cortège is most impressive when it is acually in the Vieille Ville and less so once it wends it way to the rues basses, so I would go tot he Place du Bourg du Four - and get there early! - for a good viewing spot.

there will certainly be vin chaud (what you called mulled wine) on sale. But there will also be plenty of restaurants open and some will serve the traditional Escalade meal of Turkey with cardons. However the town will be crowded and making a dinner reservation would not be a bad idea. One of the classic places to eat on that night is "la Mère Royaume" which is near the Manor store on the "Swiss side" of the lake. However they are most likely booked solid.

here is a listing of some that are open on Sundays including several in the old town. I have heard excellent comments about Chez ma Cousine but have not eaten there myself. I have eaten at both les Armures and the Restaurant de l'Hôtel de Ville and like them both. I would not bother with the Café de Paris near the station on the rue du mt Blanc. Last time I ate there I was really disappointed with the quality of the meat AND the service. I prefer l'Entrecôte on the rue du Rhône. same sort of thing - steak, frites salade with a lovely sauce for the steak - but tons higher quality. I have heard that it might close and since I haven't eaten there for about a year I cannot for sure say it is open!

Brasserie Lipp in the Confédération Centre is also a really good place with typical Brasserie food and IS open Sundays...

suite101.com/article/restaurants-in-geneva-o…

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L'Escalade

The best is to be in the old town. Now of course, you won't be alone... Try the top of rue Théodore-de-Bèze (D on the map). Dinner: http://www.hdvglozu.ch/ (no booking possible on this week-end).

Enjoy!

3. Re: L'Escalade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 16, 2013