We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning a Cern visit!

South
Level Contributor
35 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning a Cern visit!

We live in the southern U.S. Would like to plan a trip that includes a visit to Cern in the future - possibly next summer. One thing I do know is that you have to reserve the 1/2 day guided tour with them well in advance, and that would determine when tis would be. Can't go in the spring and wouldn't want to go in the winter. Husband taught Physics, so he would want to do all related to Cern that he could.

Would love to find some kind of package that covered 3 - 5 days from the airport to the Cern area and back to a/p (Geneva, I assume?) But haven't found any mention of such a package.

If not, am picturing a 4 - 6 day leisurely visit to the area with some sightseeing (again, leisurely) with a couple of Cern intensive days in the middle, but don't know where to start. Again, I know I must book the Cern visit first, but want to know before doing that our plans would be.

We're in our 60's & 70's. Have relatives in the U.K., so could plan to go from there after a visit with them. Just don't know where to start. Thanks for any suggestions!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning a Cern visit!

Hi, here's a link for visiting Cern

http://outreach.web.cern.ch/outreach/

You really don't need a tour for seeing Geneva or the areas surrounding Geneva as the Swiss are real experts when it comes to making it easy for visitors. First, you will get a card at your hotel that makes the public transportaiton around Geneva free! It is perfectly safe and comfortable to travel by public transportation. Of course, like any big city, don't carry a lot of cash or credit cards as pickpockets are in abundance in some areas such as around the main train station - use your bank debit card to get what cash you need for each day and then put that card somewhere not easily accessible for a pickpocket or purse picker - the travel organizers sold on many websites that go around your neck so are under your clothing are good for this kind of security.

You could very easily take the train to Montreux and visit Chateau Chillon while you are there. There are many ideas on the English language Swiss Tourism website

www.myswitzerland.com

and on the Geneva website

http://www.geneve.ch/welcome_en.html

You could arrange individual day tours through the tourist office, I'm sure, for seeing some of the area.

Hope this helps you to get started! Please let us know if we can assist.

2. Re: Help planning a Cern visit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 30, 2013