We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Virgin

Essex
2 posts
Save Topic
Swiss Virgin

Hi, I've been fortunate enough to be invited to Biel for a friends wedding on Sep 1st this year, and have never been to Switzerland before.

I have 2 full days after the wedding to travel, explore etc and would like to know some great places to go and if I should get some sort of travel card/pass.

A bit general I know but I'm hoping someone may have some useful tips I can use to impress the person I'm taking along....

Mentioned in this post
Nazareth, PA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Virgin

Hi! I worked for a Swiss Company that was based in Biel for 11 years and traveled there many times. September is a great time to be in this region as the many vineyards around the Lake of Biel (as well as the connecting lakes of Morat and Neuchatel) are lush and beautiful.

An impressive day trip would be to take one of the many boats that travel the lakes between Biel and Neuchatel. You can get tickets right at the docks at the end of the lake. (The locals can point you in the right direction). This is a perfect and relaxing way to travel and see the lakes, the vineyards and the quaint towns as well. On weekends, the boats can be quite festive with groups of people singing & drinking wine, etc. Very friendly and fun!

If you are of the bicycling persuasion, you can ride along the lakes and up into the vineyards. There are numerous small cafes, bistros, etc. located througthout where you can get a glass of wine and some local snacks. A plate of "Bunderfleisch" (thinly sliced air-dried meet made in the mountain regions) is a great combination with the local wine.

The town of Neuchatel is very "traditional Swiss" and small enough to comfortably walk around for a few hours. Again, many nice little restaurants and outdoor cafes. At this time of year, as long as the weather is nice, it is almost a sin to NOT eat outside! In fact, I also attended a friend's wedding in Biel 10 years ago this August. The ceremony was in Biel, but we then took a lake boat to Neuchatel for the reception. It was held at a Hotel/Restaurant called Jean-Jacques Russeau, right on the Lake of Neuchatel. A beautiful location, fine cuisine and a very nice choice to impress your companion!

From Biel it is also just a 2-3 hour train ride to either Geneva or Zurich. There is so much to see in either of these cities, but it would be "fast & furious" to see much of it in such a short time. If that's not your style, it would not be a bad idea to just stay local in & around Biel and take a more relaxed approach to your visit.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert on Switzerland, but this is a town I do know pretty well! Best of Luck and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Neuchatel
Neuchatel
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Essex
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Virgin

Many thanks ! that's a great help and I'll be sure to take a boat trip me thinks.

Thanks once again.

KCS
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
10 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Virgin

I am in Biel for a wedding a week before EssexHammers is and looking to book dinner on Friday night for 10 people. Not necessarily Swiss food and something suitable for a vegetarian (1 out of 10 is veggie).

Any recommendations would be appreciated !

4. Re: Swiss Virgin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Biel
Recent Conversations