We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

Which Thun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Topic
Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

Hi, we are going to spend a few days on Thun or Brienz lake in a couple of week's time. Would anyone know if we can take our small dog on the cruise boats that serve both lakes ?

Are bikes allowed on the boats and finally would it be best to stay in Interlaken to get the best of the area or is Thun, Spiez or Brienz a better choice for a mid-high end hotel. Many thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

Dogs are OK. they need a ticket. Bikes - I don't know. best to call them and ask - +41 (0)58 327 4811

Intelaken is awful. Packed with tour buses, tourists, fast food places and in general not attractive. Spiez and Brienz are right on their respective lakes. Thun is a short distance down the Aar river from the main lake. Interlaken is not on either lake.

We stayed at the Belevedere Hotel in Spiez. Lovely views and great food and service. Would stay there again in a flash! www.belvedere-spiez.ch

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

I have to disagree with Hambagahle on staying in Interlaken, if you look for an hotel in somewhere like the Matten or Unterseen dtstricts you are away from the crowds and the fast food restaurants, or there is Wildeerwil just about five minutes by train from Interlaken Ost. True none of these areas on a lake but neither are they that far away. I suppose it's what you like.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

Nothing in Interlaken is on a lake. But Wilderswil is lovely... and IF you have to stay near the Interlaken Ost station it is most likely the best bet. The centre of Interlaken is ghastly... Wilderswil is 2 mins closer to Lauterbrunnen than Interlaken Ost, so we are not talking about a different world!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,109 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

Hi 7msd,

I would bet that bikes are ok on the lake ferries. I've taken bikes on many lake boats all over Switzerland, and seen other folks doing it, and there is never a problem. There is a fee of 5 chf for the bike.

s

5. Re: Dogs and bikes on Thun and Brienz boats ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Thun