We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

My husband and I will be spending three nights in Bern as part of a 3-week trip through Switzerland. I would like suggestions on how to spend those days. We love the outdoors and easy hiking.

Day 1 - Train from Lauterbrunnen to Bern. Once we arrive, I thought we'd do self-guided walk & Museum of Fine Art. 1st night in Bern.

Day 2 - Train to Murten. Take 1/2 day 3-lake cruise, visiting several medieval villages along the way, so basically all day doing this. 2nd night in Bern.

Day 3 - Looking for recommendations. 3rd night in Bern.

Day 4 - Train from Bern to Zurich.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
529 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

A few ideas:

Visit the Paul Klee Museum and the Museum of History.

if you are in Bern on a Tuesday or a Saturday: stroll through the morning market.

Rent a bicycle (it is free !) and tour the countryside.

Hike or ride the cablecar up the Gurten and enjoy the views.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

Thanks for the ideas. I think one museum will be enough. We like the outdoors. I'll check out the Gurten. Any local restaurants (inexpensive) you can recommend?

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
529 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

Oh, as you like to hike, one more idea: walk along the Aare River upstream until Muri or Belpmoos (you can cross the river there and walk back on the other bank).

There are lots of restaurants in Bern, italian and asian tend to be less expensive. The Tramdepot (next to the bear park) is a good budget option, but is quite crowded and noisy.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

The Aare River sounds good; thanks. Italian might work, as it'll be towards the end of our time in Switzerland and we may be ready for a change! I appreciate your ideas; thanks again.

5. Re: Three days in Bern area - suggestions on what to see/do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014