We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

My brother and I will be taking our parents (who are dairy farmers in Pennsylvania, USA) on vacation to Switzerland and Germany in mid/late May 2013.

We have extensive Swiss Mennonite heritage from the Emmental / Langnau / Eggiwil area. We would like to arrange to have a local expert guide us for a day or two to visit some of the key Anabaptist / Mennonite heritage sites. Can anyone recommend a good local contact (if they host guests in their home, even better!)

Also, our parents would really enjoy finding lodging at an operating dairy farm in this region with friendly hosts who speak English and would have lots of cows!

Sorry for the rather strange request, but any advice and guidance is most appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

The Mennonite community in Bern could probably help you. The site is in German only, but you could send them an e-mail. Here are the contacts: http://www.mennoniten-bern.ch/aboutus_5.html

Here is also a list of all the 14 communities www.menno.ch/index.php… - I would suggest to contact them directly. The contacts for the one in Langnau are here: www.menno.ch/content/view/26/38/lang,fr/

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

I found also a link on myswitzerland.com : myswitzerland.com/en/excursion-alttaeufergem…

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

Engadiner: Thank you so much for your quick and excellent feedback! I was having trouble locating the websites because they are in German. However, with your links, I could translate the pages. I have sent a couple follow-up emails to the various contacts.

Thanks again!

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

The Emmental has an English tourist site with a list of farms that offer rooms or appartements to stay. http://www.emmental.ch/en/index.cfm

On the same webstie I found this emmental.ch/en/…Haslebacher

An here is a newspaper article about the same family and it's history. swissinfo.ch/eng/…

Nearly all farms in the Emmental have cows.

southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

I was very glad to find this thread - I also am planning a trip to Bern area in late May and would much prefer staying on a Mennonite farm. I'll check these links and share here if I find anything else.

Safe and blessed travels!

Edited: 5:32 pm, February 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

Hi Eric - I just noticed your last name - we may be visiting some of the same places! I'll be visiting Switzerland May 15 - June 2, researching the homelands of my Wenger, Lehman, Good, Blosser, and Basinger ancestors. I've contacted the pastor of Langnau Mennonite Church, who's helping me find Mennonite guest lodging in Langnau - I'd also like to find a place near Bearn (Rothenbach area) - let's be in touch!

Mentioned in this post
Welman iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

I am in Switzerland and would like to visit the the Mennonite church is there a street address for it???

Mentioned in this post
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

Address for Langnau Mennonite:

Alttäufergemeinde Emmental

Kehrstrasse 12

3550 Langnau im Emmental, Switzerland

Mentioned in this post
Welman iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

Thank You!! We are going to see it tomarrow. We appreciate the info!

Neuchatel...
Level Contributor
9 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emmental: Mennonite heritage tour guide / dairy farm lodging

I am currently reading a book (in French only sadly) written by a French veterinarian, with Swiss monite ancestry- all about the time, at the end of the 19th Century, when memonites in Bern and Emmenthal were persecuted by the Bernese- and many fled to the Jura, in the region of Porrentruy- a Catholic Canton, strangely enough, that also welcomed my French Huguenots ancestors. Families mentioned are Müller, Bäechler, Dellenbach, Kennel, Froëhli, Schraag, Sommer, and many more. Was also surprised to see the name Klopfenstein, which I always thought was a Jewish name (one of my good friends is a Klopfenstein). Very interesting. The book is called 'Heureux les doux' (happy are the meek) by Guy Girard,

guy.girard24@sfr.fr

www.guy-girard.fr

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Jura
Jura
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France