We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

Hi were a family going to Malaucence for the month of April and we wanted to see Bern Switzerland for a couple of days just to see it, we have 2 girls ages 13 and 11, although we have a car rented for the month we were wondering about experiencing the train, can anyone help us to tell us how far is it and should we do it and should we take the train and what should we do when were there, were from CAnada and have never experienced this area, any help would be awesome!!! T from CAnada

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

For train information, go to www.bahn.de This is the website of the German Railroads (Bundesbahn), but I found them to provide the best overall view of the major trains connections and routes.

Also, read up on Bern and Luzern, and see which of the two cities might appeal more to your girls. My opinion is that it might be Luzern. There is the lake, and in April- although you probably have seen your share of snow for the year in Alberta - a trip up one of the nearby mountains may still be fun.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

Thanks for the information, what is your opinion on which one to go to? What is the distance between the two of them, I'm quite a rookie on this area, thanks again for all your direction, T

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

I prefer Luzern. It is a nice city, but also offers more opportunities for short sightseeing trips within the environs, on either side of the lake.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

PS: Sorry, I didn't answer your second question. Distance Luzern - Bern 91km by road, between 1:05 and 1:36 hrs. by train.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

Hi now I'm getting told that Lausanne and thun and brig or G-staad/chateaud'Oex what do you think of these choices in comparison to Luzern? Too many choices too little time and money!! T

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling from Avignon France to Bern Switzerland how far...

Lausanne: It's a city on differerent levels, so it's a bit more difficult to get around. You have to rely on a funicular to get from one level to the next. Luzern is more pedestrian friendly, I think. One advantage of Lausanne is that Geneva is real close by train. G. is a very elegant city. In fact, if I had to choose between Lausanne and Geneva, I would prefer G.

Thun: I like it. It has a nice castle and old city part. But In April, I would still prefer Luzern. If you hit bad weather, there's definitley more to do in L. than in Thun (or Brig for that matter).