We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One or two day trip from Bern

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
One or two day trip from Bern

I am planning a holiday in Switzerland staying with a friend in Bern. While she has asked me to come for a month I do not wish to out stay my welcome and am looking to plan several one or two day trips from Bern (or more days if that is recommended by anyone). I am interested in learning about Switzerland, it's nature, culture, industry. I like train travel very much.

I will continue researching on tripadvisor, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Karen

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One or two day trip from Bern

When are you travelling?

Most places can be reached on day trips from Bern. For the Engadin, some other remote parts of the Graubueneden and the Ticino it's better to have two days. For most destiantions outside Switzerland you need to have two or more days eg. Stuttgart, Munich, Paris or Rome

Get a Half Fare Card or even a Swiss (Flexi) Pass, it will save you a lot of money! Switzerland has the best public transport network in the world and the trains are it's backbones. Most rides in the mountains are very scenic.

Some possible day trips:

Zermatt and Gornergrat and/or the Klein Matterhon

Lucerne, boat to Vitznau, Rigi, and if you like it the Zoo in Arth Goldau

train to Montreux, visit the Chillon castel then the Golden Pass train to Spiez and back to Bern

Saentis

Jungfraujoch

Schilthorn and Truemmelbach Falls

some bad weather options:

Papilloram (not a full day trip)

Lucerne with Transport museum and maybe the Glass museum in Hergiswil

Zurich and it's great Zoo.

Gruyeres (old town, castel and cheese factory), chocolate museum in Broc and if you haven't eat too much chocolate at the museum the spa in Charmey

Here some good sites to get started:

www.myswitzerland.com

www.region-du-leman.ch

www.valais.ch

www.gstaad.ch

www.interlaken.ch

www.luzern.ch

www.graubuenden.ch

www.ticino.ch

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One or two day trip from Bern

Thank you so much for your very informative reply to my question. It is appreciated. I'm getting very excited at the prospect of my trip.

3. Re: One or two day trip from Bern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, June 06, 2013