We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Full Days in Switzerland

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
14 posts
Save Topic
Two Full Days in Switzerland

There are 7 of us, ranging in age from 18 - 65 years old, that would like to travel to Switzerland for two full days the middle of May. We will be coming from Paris and leaving for Positano, Italy after Switzerland. We want to see lakes, mountains, scenery, some of us are thinking hang gliding in Lauterbrunnen. Where would you recommend we stay with in the Bern, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Interlaken area. We will be using public transit for our transportation. Arriving from Paris by train and leaving by train to Italy.

Thanks,

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

Hi crazyyellowdaisy,

I'd recommend somewhere that's convenient for your entry/departure so that you won't be spending too much time gettin to and from your holiday destination. So, for that reason, I guess I'd recommend Thun, Spiez, or Bern.

Staying in Thun or Spiez will give you the lakes & mountains scenery, but it'll be some distance to go for hang-gliding.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

Spiez would be ideal. Reason is that you can make a more or less direct run through Switzerland and get all you want to do in to two days:

Paris to Bern via Basel

Bern to Spiez

Then when you leave

Spiez to Brig

Brig to Milan

There are a few through trains a day from Basel to Milan that stop in Spiez. If oyu got one of those then you would not have to change again in Brig.

Spiez is lovely. Right on lake Thun, with some more than decent hotels. And a short ride to Bern or Thun in one direction and to Interlaken Ost where you would connect to the Lauterbrunnen valley in the other.

Save Reply
3. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

Thank you, do you have a recommendation for a hotel or vaca rental?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

Hi crazyyellow --

Do you mean in Spiez?

If so, I have to ask if you'd rather be near the train station (at the top of the hill) or down near the lake? There are two or three pleasant little hotels (I think they were 3-star) down near/at the harbor, but it'll be a hike or a taxi ride back up to the train station.

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

And there is a seriously good hotel next to the lake in Spiez Hotel Belvedere. It is a 4 star. Lovely hotel, superb staff and very good food. They will collect you at the station. Closed right now for renovation but opens for Easter so should be "spanking new" when you are here!!

Save Reply
6. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

The Hotel Belvedere looks very nice, Thank you for letting me know about it. We are looking at staying in Spiez or near by. We will only have public transit so that is a consideration.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

As I said, they will take you to and from the station (at least, they took us!!) I was really surprised with the level of the cuisine in the restaurant AND with the breakfast.

I suppose you could walk to the station in 15-20mins. Or get a taxi... if the hotel doesn't take you there.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

Hi again,

I wouldn't be surprised if the hotel picked you up on arrival day and dropped you off on departure day (at least that's been my experience with 4-star hotels in other parts of the country).

But for the days you'll just be doing excursions in the area, you may just be ready for that walk -- or ask if there's a town bus that could take you.

Or -- just use the flake erries for your excursions!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

oooh that was funny!

lake ferries became flake erries. Typing fingers!!

s

Save Reply
10. Re: Two Full Days in Switzerland

Thank you for all your help!