We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bern Train Connection

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Bern Train Connection

I am checking my possibilities for travelling from Luzern to Paris. I am trying to include the Golden Pass. One possibility has a change in Bern going from Track 3 to Track 5. Is this possible with luggage (22inch rollalong)?

Any input is appreciated.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bern Train Connection

Kein Problem! Bern station is developed with the traveller in mind the platforms are wide and well sign posted, each has a long slope into the station passage.

I think that your transfer will involve going down to the passage and up the neighbouring slope.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bern Train Connection

Left out one essential fact, I only have 6 minutes to make the change.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bern Train Connection

As long as the train is on time (and they are 90% of the time), you'll be fine. If the train is late, then sometimes the other trains wait too. It depends if they are regional vs. intercity trains.

I'd go for it but have plan b handy in case the train does come in late.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bern Train Connection

Thank you. I thought it was doable but wanted confirmation from someone who had been there and done that.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bern Train Connection

CT_Granny, this transfer is something thousands of commuters do every day. If it weren't doable it weren't listed in the SBB schedule. Of course the "doability" depends on the trains being on time, but it's Switzerland, you know :-)

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bern Train Connection

If you wish, download a pdf map of the Bern station at mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/situationsplan_bern.pdf

It would appear that you could use the ramps to wheel down and up between Gleis/Platform/Tracks 3 and 5.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bern Train Connection

Hi CT Granny,

Nothing substantive to add, just a chuckle. "Only six minutes . . ." You'll be on the 2nd train waiting for 3-4 minutes, and wondering why they put in such a looooong layover! Plenty of time!

s

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bern Train Connection

I should never have doubted the Swiss train schedule. THanks for the map link and all of your reassurances.

CT Granny

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
494 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bern Train Connection

I was traveling with 6 adults total and 14 pcs. of luggage and we were worried about the very same thing and had 6 mins as well to unload all our luggage, get to the correct track and reload all 14 pcs.... we were able to do it, and there is someone that works on the train that watches before just taking off because they watched to make sure we were completely loaded before leaving.... with so many train rides and connections, we had it down pat! 1st day from Zurich to Zermatt, then later from Zermatt to St. Moritz (8 hrs! but BEAUTIFUL), then later from St. Moritz back to Zurich... we actually had a transfer somewhere along the way in Bern. Happy traveling!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bern Train Connection

Blondie, I guess that will be an easy change for two people and two pieces of luggage. We're going for it.

Thanks for the encouragement.