We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Dijon to Bern-Which route

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
From Dijon to Bern-Which route

Hello, I will be driving from Dijon, france to Bern. Looking at the map and there r two ways to get into switzerland from Dijon. Either from the north go on A36/E60 to A35 pass thro Basel or from the west on N57/E23 (france) to Hwy 9 and 1 (Swiss). Both routes seem to take about the same time on google map but does anyone know which routes is actually a better or faster way?

Thanks in advance

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

Try viamichelin

http://www.viamichelin.fr/web/Itineraires

I would drive thru the Jura (Besançon-Pontarlier- Neuchatel) as is the Viamichelin recommendation.They say it's about 270km or about 3hrs 20

Take care

mum47

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

I would do a variation on mum47's route: Dijon - Besançon - Valdahon - Le Locle - La Chaux de Fonds - Neuchâtel - Bern. Going via Pontarlier is a detour, although it's a slightly better road.

Dijon to Neuchâtel via my suggested route is about two and a quarter hours. Add another 40 to 60 minutes for Neuchâtel - Bern, depending on the time of day.

Edited: 9:28 am, June 02, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

oh wow, did not realise Michelin has this planning tool, awesome. I will take a look at both options thanks.

C

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

The route mentioned by Mum is very very pretty and even if it takes a little longer that is the one I would take... in fact it is the one I take whenever I do go to Dijon!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

One disadvantage of Mum's route over mine is that you end up having to drive through quite a bit of Neuchâtel suburbia on the way in from Pontarlier, which slows you down. Coming in on my suggested route from La Chaux-de-Fonds, you arrive in Neuchâtel on the motorway and avoid the town completely because you go under it in a long tunnel, emerging into open countryside at the other end. On the other hand, you have to go through Le Locle and La Chaux-de-Fonds... swings and roundabouts probably.

If I was going via Pontarlier, I think I would skip Neuchâtel and continue via Vallorbe and Yverdon to Bern.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

Actually Neuch that IS the route I take - Pontarlier - Vallorbe - Yverdon. I think I read Mum's post too quickly..

I know le Locle well. It is worth going there IF you have things to see and to do - the Watch museum in the Château Dubois, for example is magnificent. But just to drive through - no thanks. And the traffic in the morning and evening with the communters to and from France is hoorendous.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

thanks for all the suggestions. love to see it all but w/ limited time, I will need to get to Bern around noon and not having to get up 6 in the morning.

Thks

C

8. Re: From Dijon to Bern-Which route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 04, 2012