We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

Hi,

We are group of 9 students which decided for traveling to Switzerland 22-25 April. Our accommodation budget for whole group is ~ 220 Euro per night. Is there any advices for cheap hotel or even private home? As we have car, rural area in center of Switzerland is Ok for us.

Warmest regards,

Atan

California, USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

If your'e interested in staying near Interlaken - check out Camp Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen - little cabins - with community showers & kitchen - lots of students stay there.

Or, in Vevey, look at the Riviera Lodge - a hostel with kitchen privileges

Edited: 2:40 am, April 16, 2011
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

Hi Atapi

You could have look at the Youth Hostels which are normally very good. Look at www.sjh.ch/en

Good luck

pore

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

With such a big group you might get a good deal with renting a house/appartement. You can find and book them on www.myswitzerland.com or on any local tourist website eg. www.interlaken.ch or www.lakeluzern.ch

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

Your budget is really very small, just 31.50 CHF per person per night. I think you should be be looking at youth hostels. If you were travelling in the Summer, I would suggest camping, but April will be too cold for most to enjoy the experience. You've only got a few days to plan this (if you are going this year), so you need to move fast and do some phoning around quickly.

I haven't stayed in many hostels in Switzerland. Here are some I am aware of:

Riviera Lodge in Vevey, mentioned above, is a good option, but is popular and you might struggle at short notice. There are dorm rooms within your budget:

http://www.rivieralodge.ch/eng/lodge1.html#

Vevey is expensive to park in, so make sure you establish if parking is included.

The HI hostel in Territet next to Montreux is in a nice option. Same caution about parking:

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Montreux-Territet-…

moleson.ch/rubrique/…

It's above your budget, but only a bit. This is in a small village called Moleson village. There are only simple facilities in this village, which is mostly for holiday homes and farming, but on the plus side, you will be there during a short window of opportunity when the funicular and cable car up the local mountain reopen briefly for Easter. Having a car is very important in this village, as the bus service is somewhat limited. There are plenty of nice places you can drive to (Gruyeres - just a few minutes, thermal baths in Charmey, chocolate factory in Broc, Vevey on Lake Geneva and so on).

I have a friend who stayed in the youth hostel in Zermatt and she said it was nice. There are also good reviews here on Tripadvisor. You can't drive there, so you would need to park your car in Tasch and take the train from there (make sure you have factored in the costs of this):

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Zermatt-055005.en.…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188098-d617494…

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

A little more Googling has revealed there is a hostel in the high mountains, open year round above Anzere. This is above your budget, but the price per night includes food and the cable car up:

www.anzere.ch/pages/popup/ViewAdresse.cfm…

Before committing to this, I would want to check out how Spring is doing in Anzere, as you don't want to be stuck in the mud with no easy options for walking. I would also want to find out whether you have to pay to leave your car in the car park at the bottom of the cable car.

I also recall someone recently enquiring about Le Stop hostel in Le Chable below Verbier. This is just slightly above your budget (quite close):

http://www.le-stop.ch/

Obviously, there are hostels all across Switzerland, too many to list. The ones I have listed have just popped into mind and are around your budget. Hopefully one of these will have a couple of dorm rooms available for you and you'll be able to plan your holiday around that. I stress again, that if you are travelling this April, and with a large group, you need to work fast and work flexibly to find somewhere. If places say no, ask them if they are aware of anywhere else. If a village/town particularly interests you, ring the tourist office in that place and ask for their help and advice. Most villages and towns in Switzerland have their own website - if in doubt of what this might be, try www.insertnameofvillage.ch and this is usually the official website.

6. Re: Cheap accommodation in center of Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 29, 2012