We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Dear reader, I need advice. I have some friends coming into Switzerland in January and they intend to fly in through Basel airport. Both Sri Lankans and they can only travel in Switzerland without a visa. Are they able to come in Basel airport without any problems are do they need a visa for the French side as well? Pretty confusing airport..hope someone knows..thanks!

U.S.
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

I had the same question when I first purchse my tickets but I found out that the airpot is located on a border of France and Switzerland,; however, it is considered to be a Switzerland airport.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Hi both

The Eurairport is the only bi-national airport on earth. After landing and baggage claim you have the possibility to choose either the exit to France or to Switzerland.

In the case you take the Swiss exit you only face Swiss passport control and Swiss customs. No contact with french authorities. The street leading to Basel is exterritorial zone, though the surrounding areas are still in France. No further controls.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

hallo everybody, as mätzli said they will have no problem whatsoever.

The airport is in French soil but it is shared by three countries: Switzerland, France and Germany.

Every one of these countries have their own entrances/exits marked with the name and the respective flag, perform their own controls and to make everything even more easy (!) refer to the airport each in his own individual way: It would be Euroairport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg for the Swiss (always accurate and correct), Euroairport Mulhouse for the the French and Euroairport Freiburg for the Germans.

Regardless, all your friends have to do is exit through the swiss exit and they will never officially enter france. It is clearly marked.

here is a link for the airport: www.euroairport.com/

namaste from sunshiny basel

Angie

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Dhanyavaad and thank you to all of you for being so helpful, I will inform them about this.

Where is the bus stop outisde the airport and how can they ge from there to the mail railway station.

From there, they will be taking a train to Interlaken, and I will drive down from Zürich to pick them up and go up Grindelwald.

Cheers from Berlin!

Anjeli

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

There is a bus (Nr. 50) that will bring them for about CHF 3.20-- directly to the railway station. The bus runs every 15 minutes. The journey will take 20 minutes.

They should make sure they take the bus to the swiss railway station, there is another (52) for the german railway station, which is on the other side of the city.

From the bus it is a short walk through the railway station, through the main hall, up the rolling stair and down to the platform which is clearly marked Bern-Interlaken. No problem.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Grindelwalden? Oh I am jealous of you. It is such a beautiful place.

One more detail : there is an Interlaken Ost and an Interlaken West. Since u r meeting there, make sure u all go to the same station.

There are direct trains and trains where u have to change in Spiez.

You can see the time tables here: www.sbb.ch

And dress warmly, it is so very cold at the moment....

take care

Ang

PS for Mätzli: how r u doing? going away for Xmas?we are staying in basel -too much work.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Hi Angie

We will have X-mas at home but then leave for St. Tropez and spend some time at the cote d'Azur

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

thanx thanx thanx...i am going snowtubing ! and merry christmas to you guys/gals!

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

merry xmas to you too global traveller, enjoy your time and have an eggnog for us, ok?

Angie

Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Basel Euroairport French or Swiss?

Thanks all. After reading many of the Base posts, I feel the need to revisit my photograph albums. Anyone know if there are still direct flights from Newark, NJ airport to Basel?

Get answers to your questions about Basel