We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide, please.....

mississippi
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help me decide, please.....

We are doing a train trip thru Switzerland, taking the route from a website offering tours. We want to stay in small towns on the train routes which are near the bigger ones: Lucerne, Lugano, St. Moritz, Zermatt and Zurich. We will be traveling in early April. We are not interested in skiing, but maybe a toboggan or sled. Mostly just want to see as much scenery as possible and experience the real Switzerland. Please suggest your favorite towns and villages near the above-mentioned destinations. Thank you!

PS Will the week after Easter be horribly crowded? We changed from Italy because of the time we are traveling.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide, please.....

Hi rainbowtravel,

This is a good idea and will give you a great taste of Switzerland!

Here are my suggestions --

For Luzern, you could stay at a lakeside village like Weggis (www.weggis.ch) or Vitznau (www.vitznau.ch). I've stayed in Weggis before and enjoyed it a lot -- of course Weggis has no train station, so you are limited to the train-and-bus or the ferry for your transportation. You could also stay in nearby Engelberg, which I've never visited but have heard great things about.

For Lugano, your picks might be Locarno or Ascona, though both are on Lago Maggiore (not Lago Lugano). I spent a few hours in Locarno and enjoyed its slow pace and the lakeside scnery. The town of Minusio outside of Locarno (walkable from Locarno) also gets great reviews. Ascona has no train station, and I've heard it's a really slow-paced and upscale destination.

For St. Moritz, you are really spoilt for choices. I stayed in Zuoz and really enjoyed it though it ended up being too small for my taste. Zuoz has a small central square, great views of the Engadin valley, and of course great access to all the towns in the valley (we visited Soglio, Guarda, Pontresina, Poschiavo, & St. Moritz from there). Other options might be Sils (on the lake!), Celerina, or Pontresina.

For Zurich, I always stay in the little town of Kuesnacht, just down the lake. The last time, I stayed at the Hotel Sonne (www.sonne.ch) and loved it. The lakeside bar/restaurant is a pure delight! Another option farther down the lake might be the town of Rapperswil, with its cozy little cafe-lined harbor, its castle on the hill, and its sweet little old town.

Hope that gets you started!

s

mississippi
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide, please.....

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of information/input I was hoping for. Anybody else?

Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide, please.....

Hello rainbow travel, Went to Engelberg in June05 as a stop over in a self drive holiday through Europe. It is absolutely beautiful. On our full day we went up to top of Mt Titlis which was magical and then spent 3hrs tobogganing untill we were totally wet.Then went back down into valley where it was 38deg C. The afternoon we went to look around Lucerne but because it was sunday nothing much was open but still very nice.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,663 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide, please.....

Hi, the closest small village to Zermatt is Tasch - Zermatt sits at the end of a long valley and the road goes nowhere else nor does the train! Accomodation is much less expensive in Zermatt which is about 20 min. by train. The ski season will be nearly over but Zermatt will likely be one of the resorts still open as it is one of the highest in Europe. You should decide soon if you want to stay in Zermatt and get a hotel reservation as it is possible you might get there and have no rooms available.

I stayed recently in a small village called Samedan about 8 minutes from St. Moritz by train. It was lovely and convenient.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide, please.....

I, too, have stayed in Weggis and loved the little town. It's accessible by the boats on lake Lucerne so you will be able to connect easily. I actually enjoyed taking the boat to so many places because the lakes in Switzerland are just absolutely beautiful. If you have a Swiss Pass of some sort the boats are covered 100%.

If you choose Weggis, I can recommend the SeeHotel Gotthard. Fabulous food, sits on the lake, the owners are wonderful. I can truly NOT recommend Hotel Central AmSee. Not-so-friendly owners and food was very mediocre.

Be aware that Weggis is a lakeside "retreat" village and not a large city like Lucerne. If you tend to like bigger cities/towns then Weggis is probably not for you.

6. Re: Help me decide, please.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 22, 2009