We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel, Zurich and Baggage!

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Basel, Zurich and Baggage!

Hello! We are a group of 5 (my husband and I, our 3 year-old and my 70-year old parents) that need to get from Amsterdam to Switzerland. The cheapest way for 5 of us to get from AMS to Switzerland seems to be with EasyJet. But they only fly to Basel, not Zurich. We will have some large luggage pieces. Our original plan was to drop off the large bags at the Left Luggage facility at Zurich airport, and then travel around Switzerland for 9-10 days, and collect it from Zurich Airport prior to flying back home to the US. The fare difference between flying to Zurich vs. Basel from AMS is $1000 for 5 people! Would love to fly to Basel and save the money, but can't figure out what to do about the luggage. Can we go to Basel railway station, drop it, and will they send it to Zurich Airport for us to pick up? We would only be able to pick up after 10 days though. The other option would be to rent a car large enough to take us and our luggage to Zurich airport where we could drop it. (We don't need to go to Zurich - but since we are flying out from there, it is easiest if we store it there).

Grateful for any ideas. Thanks for your help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel, Zurich and Baggage!

Hi, you certainly can take your unneeded luggage to Basel rail station and send it to Zurich Airport (use the 'regular' service - it's 11 francs per bag and takes about 48 hrs.) Be sure to tell them you won't pick it up for several days - I don't know how long they will hold it without charge for storage but I've sent luggage ahead for as much as 5 days and not been charged.

To get to the main station from the airport, you take a bus for a small fare each. It is easy to find the bus in the Basel airport - it's a small airport and easy to figure out. Most everyone will speak excellent English. Just ask for the bus to Basel SBB rail station.

Hope this helps.

2. Re: Basel, Zurich and Baggage!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 13, 2014