We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

various basel queries.

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
various basel queries.

Hi. My partner and myself are heading to basel for 3 night's on 1st November before taking the train to Paris for 3 nights. If anyone could answer some of these it would be a great help.

1) How much money would you recommend for 2 people that prefer to sample the street food on our travels rather than restaurants. Have a few drinks in a bar. Explore mostly by walking around and only paying into a couple of the main sights?

2) Is it easy to get a ticket to an FC Basel game provided they are at home that weekend? If so where to get one and roughly the cost?

3) Is it worth using one of the days to visit somewhere nice nearby? If so, where would you recommend?

4) Is the train journey to Paris a nice scenic journey or is there not much to see?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
41. Re: various basel queries.

Hi Maetzli & Taksidiotis, apologies I feel like I'm snooping on a private conversation between you and Donuts McD. Hope you all have a good time when you meet up! I'm coming to Basel for the CL game next month (sorry, Chelsea fan here) and I'm looking for local advice if you can help? Will the CFC fans be kept in the stadium after the end of the match and if so, for how long? Is there somewhere you could recommend to eat/get a couple of beers once we get back into the city centre after the game? If we are kept in probably wont get back into town until almost midnight.

Thanks in advance.

CF

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
32 reviews
42. Re: various basel queries.

It is a UEFA rule to keep away fans within the stand for 15-30 minutes after the match.

If you are just waiting for your flight here a Pub, which is open til 4 a.m., with warm food.

http://www.klingental.ch/html/anfahrt.html

Just stay in tram no. 14 til Station "Rheingasse", from there it is a 3 minutes walk.

Have fun! (hope you will be through by then. We need the points in order to overtake the Schalke)

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
43. Re: various basel queries.

Thanks Maetzli, that sounds ideal. We are staying overnight in an hotel near the University so it looks quite near. If we can beat Schalke at home in a couple of weeks that does take the pressure off our match with FCB. I think it will end up with you needing to win in the Veltins Arena, If you can win at Stamford Bridge you can certainly win there! Other than Draxler they don't have a lot of quality.

Thanks again.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
21 reviews
44. Re: various basel queries.

hoi Freddy,

yep, as Mätzli said, they will keep you in :)

how many of you is there?

is your hotel the Rochat?

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
21 reviews
45. Re: various basel queries.

Mätzli, Donuts, are you guys coming to ours this sunday for the match?

Hubby speaks again a bit, after the 1-1, sorry after the 1-lst minute 1, he is know a tad better, so tell me if you are joining us.

i have no idea about weather, we could make a barbie on the roof?

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
46. Re: various basel queries.

Hi Taksidiotis,

There are 4 of us and we are staying at the Hotel zum Spalenbrunnen on Schützenmattstrasse. Mixed reviews but there weren't many options without spending a fortune!

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
47. Re: various basel queries.

Sounds really good. Would that be Sunday 3rd of November?

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
21 reviews
48. Re: various basel queries.

@don orry, Saturday the 2nd of November, not Sunday :)

You are coming here the 1st is that right? I have send you a PM

@freddy, ah, four, I asked, 'cause I thought maybe we give you a lift. The hotel is in a beautiful area, the building is fantastic. I do not know what it looks inside :) but it cannot be that bad.

You are ten minutes walk from the city center, lots of bars and restaurants around Steinenberg and Barfusserplatz.

Or you could go to the other side of the river, in the Kaserne, very lively BUT maybe not after a football game where we MIGHT lose, yeah, forget that. Steinenberg and Barfusserplatz.

At one side of the Steinenberg is the Irish pub, where is am guessing lots of people will gather.

Are you staying at all in Basel?

Edited: 1:59 pm, October 25, 2013
Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
49. Re: various basel queries.

I can't seem to get into my PM. Not sure why. I think it's because I have the app on the iPad and not the full website. Yes we arrive on Friday the 1st.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
50. Re: various basel queries.

Thanks Taksidiotis, yes we are all staying in the same hotel. Thanks for all the suggestions. I always try and avoid the Irish pubs (unless in Ireland of course). We have plenty of them here in London! Always prefer to try the local beer/food. Looking forward to our visit - its a shame that the Christmas Market doesn't start until the day after we leave.