We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

various basel queries.

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
various basel queries.

Hi. My partner and myself are heading to basel for 3 night's on 1st November before taking the train to Paris for 3 nights. If anyone could answer some of these it would be a great help.

1) How much money would you recommend for 2 people that prefer to sample the street food on our travels rather than restaurants. Have a few drinks in a bar. Explore mostly by walking around and only paying into a couple of the main sights?

2) Is it easy to get a ticket to an FC Basel game provided they are at home that weekend? If so where to get one and roughly the cost?

3) Is it worth using one of the days to visit somewhere nice nearby? If so, where would you recommend?

4) Is the train journey to Paris a nice scenic journey or is there not much to see?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: various basel queries.

Thank you. I will be sure to try some if not all of them. Like the sound of the veal with pasta or rosti washed down with a swiss beer :). I'm really looking to visiting the braunen mutz for a meal and a few beers. Read good reviews on here about it.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: various basel queries.

I prefer Fischerstube with it's own brewed "Ueli Bier", the Stadthof with the Brötli Bar (there you help yourself with sclices of toastbread and a choice of dozens of different tasty toppings) or Restaurant Schnabel with its giant "Schnitzel" (breaded thin slice of veal and Chips or Pasta).

Brauner Mutz is now under the management of a Zurich restaurant chain. It is not as outstanding as it once was, but still not bad.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: various basel queries.

Bad News. The fixtures for the Swiss championship have been released. FC Basel plays in Aarau the week end you are here. Sorry for that.

Edited: 10:54 am, June 14, 2013
Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: various basel queries.

I love schnitzel. I am also going to the fischerstube and have heard of the brötli bar. Aw well, that's a shame. I was looking forward to a football game aswell. Maybe next time :) I am sure I will love the place and will be back. Maybe we will meet in the champions league next season ;)

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: various basel queries.

Congratulations. May she have a long, good, healthy life.

You can watch the match at ours, we always have some people round and junk food and celebrate (or cry) together.

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: various basel queries.

That would be really good. I'm sure we would meet lovely swiss people. Thank you

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: various basel queries.

well.... let me put it this way. if we are winning you will meet some lovely swiss people.

If we are losing, you wil learn some lovely swiss expressions.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: various basel queries.

vs Aarau this risk is relatively small. Aarau is the St. Mirren of Switzerland.

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: various basel queries.

Nothing wrong with learning some new expressions ;) haha. But I think you should be fine. Aarau are only just promoted and Basel are champions. Could be 5-0, 6-0 with a Streller hat-trick :)

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: various basel queries.

Maetzli, taksidiotis. Well done to Basel tonight. Great result.