We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport stamped

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
passport stamped

Can I get my passport stamped arriving into Switzerland via Basel for visa requirements

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport stamped

If you land in Basel airport from outside of Schengen - sure.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: passport stamped

thank you for the reply about coming through Basel airport and having passport stamped , sorry I didn't mention I was planning to travel by train and need my passport stamped as I said for visa requirements so is there anywhere at Basel station I can have this stamped in my passport

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport stamped

Your passport will be stamped at your point of entry into the Schengen area. There is no requirement for a further entry stamp on arrival at a Basel railway station as a Schengen visa is valid in every signatory state. In any case, I believe there would be no-one at either Basel railway station to stamp your passport anyway.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport stamped

do stamps still exist?

I do not think anybody will stamp your passport anywhere and, are you absolutely sure you need a stamp?

If you have some kind of weird Visa :) that needs that, maybe you could ask at the issuing embassy? Or the swiss embassy?

switzerland has no borders with non-schengen countries, so if you enter by train you would allready have been entering the shengen area somewhere else and maybe this is where you shoudl be asking?

Just ideas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: passport stamped

thank you for this information maureen

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport stamped

>do stamps still exist?

Yes. Any person who is not a citizen of the European Economic Area or Switzerland who arrives in any EEA country or Switzerland will have his/her passport stamped at the point of entry. The only exception to this rule is if the person has entered a Schengen country from another Schengen country.

7. Re: passport stamped

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 01, 2014