We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to Basel?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Paris to Basel?

Can someone please give me some advice and/or web links for train schedules and fares from Paris to Basel.

I am assuming that the train is the best way to travel between the 2 cities... true or false?

J

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

Train is the fastest and most relaxing - city center to city center. You can get all the fares and timetables on the Swiss Rail website in English

www.sbb.ch/en

Put in Paris and Basel. The TGV (high speed train) goes from Paris Gare de Lyon and is a direct (no changes) train. You can get discounted fares starting about 90 days before travel but they sell out quickly so don't wait thinking they will still be there a week or two later - they may not.

Hope this helps

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

If your journey starts in Paris you would be better booking from www.tgv-europe.com

Don't let the site send you to rail europe. Look on www.seat61.com for the best way to purchase Paris to Basel tickets on the TGV.

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

I plan to travel between Paris and Basel in May. I want to avoid the high-speed train, and I want to stop in a village en route for a few days. Any advice and recommendation would be appreciated. Please suggest an interesting village that is on the rail line. If you can recommend a guest house or B&B, that would be helpful as well. Also advice on train routing and reservations.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

For recommendations on villages between Paris and Basel most probably better use appropriate French forum.

The "non-TGV" line is Paris gare de l'est - Troyes - Chaumont - Vesoul - Lure - Belfort (check www.sbb.ch time table advanced, "display means of transport" suppress "TGV"). For TGV now 2 different itineraries: the "old" one from Paris gare de l'est - high speed to Strassburg, regular speed to Basel and for now more than 2 years Paris gare de Lyon via Dijon and Besançon. All those stops are relatively large cities. For a "village" you would have to add some regional train trip.

I would first try to define a specific region - imho all are good for travelling in May. Burgundy, Champagne, Alsace ..... so many possibilities. And use that region forum.

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

any direct train from paris to interlaken ost

India
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

any direct train from paris to Lucerne or Interlaken / Switzerland .pls advise .

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

Hi Smitha C and deepika812,

There is a direct train Paris ( Gare de Lyon ) to Interlaken leaving at 18.23 arriving at 23.53.

Other trains require 1,2, or 3 changes depending on the train time you choose.

For Paris to Luzern there is no direct train,you have to change at Basel.

Other trains require 1,2, or 3 changes depending on the train time you choose.

Check this site for full details - sbb.ch/en

Have fun.

arvind

Bangkok, Bangkok...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

Can you tell me?

How much?(Paris-Basel)

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

Price for TGV trip depend on travel date and time - and how fare ahead you get your ticket. Just like tickets for most flights.

Check http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ for train tickets in France. Or http://www.seat61.com/ for train tickets in Europe in general.

You can use Swiss Federal Railways website www.sbb.ch/en for train itineraries outside Switzerland - but for ticket information and reservations in other countries better use the specific websites.

Edited: 9:53 am, August 17, 2014
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Paris to Basel?

The cost varies wildly. It depends on how far ahead you book, whether it's peak time or not, whether you want the flexibility to change your booking, etc.

For example, tomorrow prices start from 113 € single in second class. The same thing at the end of September costs 49 €.

You can get all the relevant information on the French Railways site (voyages-sncf.com).