We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

Hi everyone. I'm on the Paris planning stages of our upcoming trip (35 days in Switzerland with a 4 day side trip to Paris). I've read a lot about booking train tickets, read seat61.com, read about not using raileurope and using tgv-europe instead, but many seem to have problem with tgv europe (mostly americans I think so it could be different using a canadian credit card). We'll be travelling from Basel to Paris return. For those living in Switzerland, which website do you use to book travel to and from Paris... sbb.ch or tgv-europe? Or does it matter? We need to have tickets we can print on our own as mailing won't work I expect and I don't think there is a french manned booth at sbb in basel to pick up the tickets. We want to book 90 days out to get the best rates so I have time... just thought I'd ask now.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

I don't know if you can book this way from Canada. When I booked last year I got a very good deal from the Swiss Rail site and printed off the tickets at home here in the UK, I paid by credit card and paid 30chf for a single second class from Basel to Paris. It was on a specific train, it may be worth yoiuyr while to look out for special offers.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

Thanks Swisslover. I was hoping I could use the Swiss Rail site. I feel much more comfortable with it. I'm hoping the prices will be the same.

Does anyone have any experience on the sbb vs tgv-europe prices for 90days out? As we're starting in Switzerland and ending in France, would both countries rail service offer the same pricing for the same trip?

Ft Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

I bought tickets two days ago for Geneva to Paris on May 11. I reviewed all the instructions on Tripadvisor first! I'm in the US. I checked both sbb and sncf websites and got a better price on the French railway website. I was able to print out the tickets. It was probably not the very lowest price since it was less than 90 days out, but still good. I paid with American Express (had previously advised them of travel plans.)

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

Basel to Paris should be booked at www.sbb.ch - the Swiss railways site.

Booking opens 92 days ahead, fares from €25 if you book early.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

Thank you!

6. Re: Basel to Paris - best way to buy train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Basel