We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach near Basel

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beach near Basel

We'll be in Basel for five weeks in July and August 2013. We'll be travelling around Switzerland and doing many daytrips from our base but I thought it might be nice if we could spend a day at the beach a few times while there. Our apartment won't have a/c so it might be a nice reprieve for the children if the weather is hot. I do know that we can swim in the Rhine and we may try that but my children are only 5, 7 and 10. While they're good swimmers, I'm a bit concerned about the current as they've only ever swam in pools.

Can anyone recommend one (or more) nice family beaches that we may be able to visit while in Basel? We won't have a car. I'm unsure about the tram system yet but I'm sure we'll figure it out. So access by tram or train (we'll have a Swiss Pass) within a half hour (probably max one hour one way) would be great.

Thanks!

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Beach near Basel

For football matches: None of them is dangerous. There were no incidents during the last 2 years. But it is true, that the matches vs FC Zurich are sometimes more intense than others. :-) In sector A and C you will be very safe anyway.

I'll be in the Bernese Oberland for the 1st of August, and won't be at taksi's roof party ( which I recommend strongly; both taksidiotis AND the party :-) )

But give me a short message, and we can arrange a private city tour around after your arrival. After the 10th of July I'll be host of Scottish bagpipers, and therefore not available til the end of the tattoo.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Beach near Basel

Thank you both for the amazing offers! We would love a tour of the city! I'm going to send each of you a PM.

Taks, you're adding to my list LOL! I thought I was supposed to be making it shorter, not longer. :-) My kids actually really like museums. All those that you mentioned are on my list. I was also thinking of the paper mill museum (would the kids like it?) and we have to do the Kunstmuseum because my oldest has been doing Picasso at school and has asked to see his work while we're there... as luck would have it, the kunstmuseum is having a show until July 21st! We're also hoping to see the Rosengart collection in Lucerne.

I did plan on Colmar but didn't plan to spend a lot of time there. We're also looking at Ribeauville, Riquerwhir, Kayserberg and Selestat (for the castle and possible montagne des singes). We're thinking about renting a car for that day, just for the logistics of getting from place to place more easily. Should we spend more time in Colmar? Are there other locations that you'd recommend as well?

Our plan for the Black Forest was probably more than possible in a day without a car. I did want to do Frieburg, Staufen, Triberg and Gengenbach but those on the Germany side of TA have told me that it just won't work. I've narrowed down a trip to just Triberg and Gengenbach as they're both places I think the kids would like.

As for Lucerne, everyone mentions the transportation museum. I don't know, it doesn't appeal to me. But that said, I'm a girl so cars, trucks in general don't appeal to me. I'm going to try and fit it in for the kiddos but I'm not sure if we can do all we want to do in Lucerne in a day along with Pilatus... might have to make it two days.

Have to run. My 5 year old calls.

Windsor, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Beach near Basel

Hi there

I can see you have already had masses of really useful tips but I thought I'd add that there is a beach area on the Rhine between Basel and Rheinfelden which has outdoor pools, lawns and an area in the Rhine by the banks that has been sectioned off for safe swimming. I spent my childhood summers there with Mum and sister happily playing all day :-), Here's a link: www.kuba-rheinfelden.ch/kueche/index.html

I would definitely agree that you should not swim in the Rhine: it is a fast-flowing river with very strong currents in areas and if you're not a local (in fact even if you are to be on the safe side!), don't contemplate it.

I can't resist offering a little advice about Rheinfelden (my Swiss home town) if you are visiting. I presume you are taking the boat to get there as opposed to the train (although both are easy)? The boat trip is lovely in the summer and you arrive in Rheinfelden just up from the main street in the old town (just keep walking down the hill), On your left, you will pass the Cafe Graf which I can personally recommend for its beautiful terrace overlooking the river and the little island (Inseli) which I'm sure your children would really enjoy going over to see. Just cross over the bridge and the island is there - you don't need to cross over into Germany as it's Swiss-side). NB The icre-creams and patisseries at Cafe Graf are to die for and on a sunny day on the terrace, it's just lovely!

You can walk up through the Old Town and you will eventually come to a great little park by the river which your kids will love with little paddling play feature, climbing tree, etc. Not sure if the goats are still there but we used to love saying hello to them...

If you wanted a spa experience, then you can't do much better than Rheinfelden's Sole Uno/Kurzentrum. It's right on the river with lovely lawned gardens and indoor and outdoor salt water pools. Quite serene and a different atmosphere to the "beach" I referred to earlier (no running around, diving, etc). It makes for a fabulous treat. It's not cheap but it is a unique and beautiful place. The facilities are stunning and kids get reduced entry which would be really good deal for your family. Great food too and I can recommend the cafe above the entrance overlooking the indoor pool for a less formal post-swim bite to eat - my sister and I used to love going there. http://www.parkresort.ch/en/sole-uno/

The walk along the river banks the Park Hotel/Kurzentrum into town is lovely but there is a bus which is very reliable if little feet are tired. The walk is about 20mins.

I could go on and on and on - if you want any more info, just let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

Ali

PS If you're going to Lucerne, then the Pilatus is a very spectacular cable car ride. The Titlis takes you up to 10,000ft and you'll get snow covered peaks up there. The Rigi gives you a great train ride up and cable car back down (dramatic!) to the lake in Weggis which really is beautiful little town. Incidentally children go free on the Rigi in the summer (may be the same elsewhere in Lucerne but not sure). I can recommend the Seehotel Gotthard - lovely lake terrace and food. They also have fab accommodation incl a family apartment...) If you're only doing one day there, as long as you incorporate a boat trip and mountain, you'll all love it but if you pushed me, I'd say Weggis and the Rigi.

PPS Shame you can't go the Tessin - very beautiful. Another time perhaps? :-)

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Beach near Basel

what a lovely post Ali.

I loved the pics of the Strandbad in the link... it is so cold and rainy here and has beem for a long time. I hope summer wil come soon :)

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Beach near Basel

Thanks Alicat!

The swimming area looks wonderful! I'm sure my children would love it. Can you give me directions or advice as to how we get there? You mention that its between Basel and Rheinfelden but I'm not sure we'd ever find it on our own. Is it accessible by train? Or tram?

As for Rheinfelden, we're really looking forward to visiting Augst Raurica as well as the town of Rheinfelden. I'm debating on whether to take the boat to Rheinfelden or home from there. We would definitely do one. I'd prefer to take the boat there, then visit the roman site and then the town and take the train home but the boat doesn't leave until 1130am which really cuts into the day. If we take the train there around 9am, we can wander all day if we like but the boat home is just after 14:00... so in the end, its still not the full day there. I'm leaning towards the boat going there so that we won't be tied to a schedule and we won't end up missing the returning boat. I noted your recommendation of Cafe Graf... would you recommend having dinner there or somewhere else in Rheinfelden?

As for Lucerne, I keep flipping between Pilatus and Rigi. Ultimately, the tobogganing is bringing me to Pilatus. I think the kids would like it and while there are many tobogganing locations in Switzerland, this seems to be the easiest to fit in.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Beach near Basel

I would take the Boat upstream, visit the lively old city in the afternoon and have dinner on the german side, just at the northern bridgehead. This is an excellent italian restaurant with homemade pasta, at affordable prices, coz it is in Germany.

translate.google.de/translate…

Then I would take the train back to Basel.

Resaon: If you take the boat upstream you will feel th e trip much more intense. You go against the stream and have more time to watch and feel the energy of the engines.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Beach near Basel

Thanks Maetzli. It looks wonderful but I see Michelin stars. My kids are very well behaved but I don't see a three hour 500dollar meal in our near future :-) I tried to look at the menu but there are no prices... any idea as to the cost of a meal at Restaurante I Frattelli?

Also, I didn't know there was a German side and Swiss side to Rheinfelden. Is the distinction clear? Just thinking if we forget our passports that day. I want to make sure we don't end up somewhere we shouldnt be.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Beach near Basel

Bumping up for advice on how to get to the swimming area :-) oh. , and info on there being a Swiss and German side to rheinfelden

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Beach near Basel

yes, you will see it. Latest when they start shooting at you :) when you start crossing the bridge that connects them....

The restaurant, I found in another site has menus from 30to 60 euros and main dishes from 8 to 25 Euros, especially at noon:

www.ristorante-i-fratelli.de/…

the catch in these palaces is the wine, where you might have to sell the family home. Ask for the house wine.

I do not think it has any michelin stars or gault-thingy points. I would be very suprised if it did. Are you sure?

Tak

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Beach near Basel

Thanks Tak. I've been out of town with the kiddos for the past five days so only now to respond. If you look at the bottom of that webpage you linked there's a note about Michelin... there aren't stars there but two 'sets' of forks and knives... I assumed that meant it had michelin stars. I would love to see a menu... or even bits and pieces of one. The prices you mention are quite reasonable, even for the children. If you have a link, it'd be great. Even if not, we may very well check it out now that I know we won't have to mortgage the house to eat there :-)