We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Basel

indianapolis
Level Contributor
140 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Basel

We will be arriving in Basel on a Sunday morning before we leave on a cruise on Monday morning. I've done a little research but wonder if anyone could tell me what we shouldn't miss for the 1 day and night we have there. Is there somewhere outside the city that is a must see. Tour operators that do that sort of thing. I did notice that the city walking tour is not done on Sundays when we are there. Are things even open on Sunday? Any advise you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: 1 day in Basel

erm... well... yeah, of course?

mumbai...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: 1 day in Basel

thanx MAETZLI , your walking tour seems to be very good, , i would be in Basel on 16th june , for half a day, as i will be staying in zurich, i fly out on 17th june to mumbai,i will reach basel station, from there how do i proceed on the walking tour, or do we start from the station itself as per your post.....thanx in advance

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: 1 day in Basel

If you go outside the station you will see a lot of bus and tram stops. There is at least one tram that goes straight to the Marktplatz. You will need a ticket before boarding and there are machines at the stop. There is also a "real live person" there who can help you find the right tram AND get your ticket... You can also walk. I would "guestimate" 15-20mins maximum (takes me longer but the road goes past the Boutique danoise and I can't resist that!!) Get a map of Basel at the Tourist Office in the station before you leave the station.

São Paulo - Brasil
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: 1 day in Basel

Being with Maetzli was the highlight of our trip to Basel.

We had the chance not only to be with a fun / kind man, but also to get to know an old city Basel that we would never do by ourselves.

Thanks again man!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: 1 day in Basel

Great chap, our Maetzli!!

mumbai...
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: 1 day in Basel

thanku, for the information dear expert, i will b having a swiss pass, so the tram would b free, i guess...

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: 1 day in Basel

Thanks, everyone, for the very useful information. We are leaving the ship early Sunday, have the day to tour and then flying out in early evening. Any suggestions on what to do with our luggage in town so we can tour before taking train to airport?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: 1 day in Basel

Hi, there is a left luggage room as well as lockers at the train station but be aware that there isn't a train to the Basel-Mulhouse airport. You take a bus that goes from the main train station - it's maybe 15 minutes to the airport and the bus goes about every 10 minutes. So its still convenient to leave your luggage at the train station

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: 1 day in Basel

Bus No 50. Leaves from in front of the SBB station. 20mins to the airport.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: 1 day in Basel

Thanks to Daniel. I feel very honoured. Greeting from Dumfries/Scotland.

@ashas

From the station, take tram no. 2 (final Station Eglisee) , leave at Kunstmuseum. From here you start the Walking tour via a lane called RITTERGASSE.