We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel in 1 day

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Basel in 1 day

I planning a trip for May. I am thinking of spending a day and night at Basel then the next day I have a flight from Basel to Porto at 1:20 pm.

Do you think it is possible or two short?

Considering we are a family of four (parents+22 year old girl + 14 year old boy) interested in city life, architecture , culture ad landscapes, what would your suggestions be?

Thank you so much!!!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,402 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel in 1 day

Hi sofia_Portol

From the airport you can take a bus to the railway station from where there are many tramways (called Tram) to nearly everywhere in Basel.

Basel has a beautiful old city center. You can take a tram to Marktplatz or Schifflände and walk uphill to be in the mediaval old town of Basel.

There are also very remakable new buildings - see www.basel.ch/en -.

There are a lot of museums at Basel which you can find on the above webside.

If you prefer, there is a nice zoo. The entrance is near Heuwaage tram station.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,150 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel in 1 day

I am sure our Basel DE's will answer you, but here are my suggestions - and by the way I think Basel is one of the nicest cities in switzerland, if not the nicest!

Take the bus in from the airport and go to your hotel. Once you check in the hotel will give you a Basel Mobility pass which entitles you to free use of the towns busses, trams and trains (suburban netword, or S-bahn) for the time you are there. Ask the concierge at the hotel for a town map.

If you are interested in art and culture Basel is for you! It has some 50 or more museums covering many areas. My personal favourite is the Beyeler Foundation which is in Riehen, on the north side of the Rhine, right on the German border. Trams will get you there from the centre in about 20 minutes. (and willbe free as ntoed above). The Beyeler not only has wonderful short term exhibitions and a lovely permanent collection but also is in a spectacular building. There is a decent little restaurant in the gardens. In Riehen there is also a doll museum.

http://www.fondationbeyeler.ch/en/node/1769

The other museum I love is the Kunstmuseum. Again it has great short term exhibitions and a superb permanent collection. I love the Hodlers that it has - Hodler was a Swiss artist who lived and worked principally in Geneva and painted some exquisite views of Lake Léman and the mountains.

www.kunstmuseum.basel.ch

Basel is a city with a huge old, medieval town, stretching from the old city walls and Sankt Alban's Tor (gate) to the Spalentor. Walking in Basel reminds me of Prague in that at each corner there is something beautiful to see. I would suggest starting at the Marktplatz and visiting the Rathaus - the medieval town hall. Then walk up the Spalenberg and immerse yourself in the small streets of the old town. Walk to the Munster - there are some houses in this area with dates from 1300 onwards. Then down to the Rhine. On a nice day the Goldener Sterne restaurant on Sankt Alban's Rheinweg has a little terrace where you can have a coffee, a glass of wine or a full (and nice)meal.

If you want to eat in the centre my personal choice would be one of the old guild houses - the Schlüsselzunft, on the Freiestrasse near the Marktplatz but there are oodles of other good places and again, our Basel DE's will most likely suggest theirs.

An interesting museum to see, and one that is on my list but I have not so far been there, is the Tinguely Museum. Tanguely was a Swiss artist who worked a lot in metal and made fascinating sculptures, clocks etc. I have seen some of his work and they are complicated, and - well! surprising since you look at a piece and say to yourself - yes, I see what that is, but then as you look at it longer lots of other things become evident. Quirky, funky - really fun!

tinguely.ch/en/…jean_tinguely.html

you won't regret your time in Basel - more likely you will wish you had more! And for your younger family members you might think about taking one of the little ferries over the Rhine and back - get a great view of the city from the river and see how the flow of the river moves the ferry!

Paris,France
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel in 1 day

Hi,

The is some pedestrian streets around Markplatz (city center).

You can also cross the bridge near Markplatz and go down to walk near the river.

The zoo is not as good as that and require a massive renovation.

Schwyz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel in 1 day

I would cross the Rhine by one of the ferries

http://www.basel.com/files/?id=22820

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
418 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel in 1 day

Unvaluable suggestions! I am writing down!

Thank you all!!!

*Sofia

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basel in 1 day

1.Old city center is a must. Watch your map and search for: Marktplatz, Spalenberg, Gemsberg, Nadelberg, Imbergässlein back to Marktplatz.

and opposite hill: Marktplatz, Martinsgasse, Augustinergasse, Münsterplatz

2. Take tram no 3. ( final station Birsfelden). Leave at station ST: ALBAN TOR ( 500 year old city gate). Stroll down to the river. Watch the old city wall and have a ride on the ferry over the Rhine. Then walk downstream 20 min. and take pictures of the cathedral over the Rhine. Walk back over the central MIDDLE Bridge (Mittlere Brücke) to Marktplatz.

1. + 2. will take not more than 3 hours bit will allow a fair glimpse of the city.

Edited: 4:08 am, December 27, 2010
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,150 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basel in 1 day

Merci, Maetzli! Gutes Neues!!

8. Re: Basel in 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 26, 2011