We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manhattan
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

Hi, we are going to spend 3 days in Basel in third week of July, on the way to Germany. Never been to Switzerland. We will be taking a train from Basel to Freiburg. Anyone knows of small, ancient (historical) hotels/inns near the central train station? Also, My son is 9 and loves science and classical music-- do museums have English translations under paintings, etc. We need a hotel not far from the train station as we are carrying a cello with us (to the music festival in Germany). many thanks for your time!

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

Hi Bellepoque

For your son I would recommend the musicinstrument museum, which is located in the Lohnhof, with a huge collection of old instruments. Within the Lohnhof ( a former 400 year old prison)there is also a Hotel, called "Au Violon".

Other things to see for him: The Zoo, The doll museum (old puppets and teddybears,) the art museum with explanations in english. (Right now Van Gogh exhibition until September).

Near Freiburg there is one of Europe's biggest theme park. The EUROPAPARK.

Please note, that the train to Freiburg leaves from Basel Badischer Bahnhof (german railway station), not from the Bahnhof SBB (Swiss railway station), which is on the other side of the Rhine, but connected with tram no. 2.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

>Please note, that the train to Freiburg leaves from Basel Badischer Bahnhof (german railway station), not from the Bahnhof SBB (Swiss railway station), which is on the other side of the Rhine, but connected with tram no. 2.

This is only true for local trains. If you travel by ICE, these depart from both stations.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

>Please note, that the train to Freiburg leaves from Basel Badischer Bahnhof (german railway station), not from the Bahnhof SBB<

This only applies to some local trains:

www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

To: FR

Popular among children is the great museum Tinguely:

tinguely.ch/en/museum/collection_follow.html

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

to add to the above very good suggestions:

the paper mill is a lovely museum and place. he will see how paper was made in the old days and he can make his own:

http://www.papiermuseum.ch/en/the-museum/

he might also like:

http://www.pharmaziemuseum.ch/

http://www.nmb.bs.ch/

and even:

http://www.puppenhausmuseum.ch/Information.12+M54a708de802.0.html

there is a wonderful Van Gogh exhibition in Artmuseum

http://www.kunstmuseumbasel.ch/en/home/

more information about basel:

www.basel.com

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

Are you interested in seeing any classical concerts while you're here? Basel has a great scene for concerts, early music in particular. If you send the exact dates you will be here I can try to point you to some interesting events.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

wow, thank you so much for the info! I feel so relieved to read the replies for some reason:)

We will go to all the museums you have mentioned as well as other kind strangers' suggestions.

I saw the hotel "Au violon" after I booked (compulsively) the Garni hotel. I have noticed quite a variety of "children" policies in different hotels. Some allow kids under 10 to stay for free but pay for breakfast, others let kids under 18 stay in the room for free with 2 parents but pay for the extra bed, and other hotels allow free extra bed for children under 6 but pay 40 swiss francs for the stay... and so on. My head started to spin eventually . So, I stopped with Garni that allows kids under 10 (my son is 9) to stay for free in the room with the parent. I can still cancel it, I should check out the Jail hotel. Te be frank, I thought it would be a little spooky for me to sleep in the room that used to be a jail cell. What if a prisoner went insane, or committed suicide in that cell? Or maybe he cursed its walls and suffered, etc... So, I was put off by my own imagination. Although I enjoy spookiness and small, very ancient, unique hotels, as long as they were not converted from old restrooms:)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

Thank you for warning me several times about the correct train station. So, as I understand, if I take ICE train then I can stay in the hotel that is near any train station, but if I am to take a local train to Germany, I must find a hotel near the German station. We will be taking two trains anyway, since there is no direct train to Hinterzarten, it will stop in Freiburg. As I wrote above, I booked Garni hotel which in the city center, as far as I understand. Also, thank you for informing me about Van Gogh , that will be our second excursion after the music museum (in every city in Europe we go to music museums, so far the best one is in Vienna, they allowed my son to play the old harpsichord and you can record your own CD with "special" electronic effects for 8 euros). I probably will not take him to the Doll House unless it has trains or steam engines. Zoo, yes. Is it very big? We generally try to see things we dont have in NYC, but European Zoos are different in many ways.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

well, I guess I have free time on my hands.

I am most appreciative for telling me about the ThemePark, EUROPA PARK. Since we are going to spend 2 weeks in HInterzarten, I was thinking of fun things to do there for the kid besides 5-7 hours of daily music practice. I will look for the website and how to get there. Thank you again!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

thank you! What Tinguely museum is about?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay, what to see in Basel in July with a 9 yo boy

thank you very much! Paper museum -for sure, art museum, too. we have only 3 days/

Is it really possible to get off the tram in France?