We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

Derby
11 posts
Save Topic
Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

My wife and I could be moving to Basel in the not too distant future with our children. 1 of 20 months and the other due anytime now! :o)

As I will be based at the airport, I wondered if you had any recommendations on locations to live/child friendly/poss German speaking as my wife is German/companies that rent properties etc.

Any help would be greatfully received.

I understand that we will have to rent a property but also wondered about cost of living/child benefits/tax free money saving/schooling....

Apologies for all the questions!

Thanks

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

Stay across the border in Germany since your wife is German ! A lot of people living in Germany would commute daily to Basel for their work. You might even consider France since german is widly spoken in the Alsace. With your swiss wages and taxation you would be much better off financially unless your employer insist you take up residence in Switzerland of course.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

actually, german people are moving to Basel and surrounding areas of switzerland, since taxes and benefits are much better on this side of the border- strange as it might seems. Income tax is much higher in Germany than it is here - as far as I know.

About 35% of the people that migrate to Basel-Stadt come from Germany. In 2007 from 6965 immigrants to Basel, 2555 were Germans (the rest is shared between 15 countries, with second France with about 5%)

I do not know much about Elsace, but if you want an international (also englich speaking school) that is in Basel.

I also believe that- in general- conditions and options (medical care, schooling) are better in Basel than in Elsace.

www.comparis.ch will give you an idea of taxes, health insurance, etc. costs for the different communities in and around canton Basel-Stadt.

www.immoogle.ch for rental properties

other links that might help:

basel.ch/en/living_in_basel/moving_to_basel

www.xpatxchange.ch/index.php…

Now, if you decide to stay in Germany and work in switzerland with permission G (Grenzgänger) a 4.5% of your salary will be deduced as "Quellensteuer", This will then be taken into account when you make your german tax declaration.

another link that might help in this case is:

http://www.grenzgaenger-service.net/index.htm

http://www.grenzgaenger-schweiz.eu

they are both in german, but no problem for your wife

hope this helps a bit to get you started

Tak

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Derby
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

Hi guys, really appreciate the quick response! My wife is on the case as we speak! :)

In your opinions, what areas around the airport (swiss side) would you recommend as a rental village. Our budget would be approx 2000Fr a month for 4 rooms but just don't have any ideas about the surrounding areas. Any info on villages on the outskirts of basel, near the airport and pretty child friendly would be very welcome. When we come across at the end of September we will be pretty short on time so want, if possible, to head straight for relevant areas.

Thanks once again!

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

Staying too near the airport it would also mean lots of noise.

did you have a look at the www.immoogle.ch site?

there is there also a map, which wll help you there.

I am a die hard resident of the city myself and I cannot recommend it enough, i think that the schooling, medical, cultural etc. options of Basel are unbeatable.

I have friends that live in Alschwil, Aesch and Oberwil and like it. Riehen is beautiful but you will still be in canton Basel-stadt and you will have the higher taxes. the cantons to look for are BL (Basellandschaft) AG (Aargau)

how do you go to work? there is a bus that leaves from Basel main railstationto the airport.

so you need to think of a place that is on the tram or s-bahn lines and does not take forever

www.map.search.ch, will show you all tram etc. connections also interactiv.

Also www.sbb.ch or www.bvb.ch for timetables.

hope this helps

Tak

Mentioned in this post
Aesch
Aesch
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Oberwil
Oberwil
Riehen
Riehen
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

Thank you so much for posting! We are also possibly moving to Basel in the near future and are researching the same things. The responses and links have been incredibly useful - especially about regions to look for apts. I've been wondering myself where to live. We have a young child and want a good area for kids. I have one additional question - are the restaurants mostly kid-friendly? Is it easy to get around with a stroller?

switzerland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

<are the restaurants mostly kid-friendly?>

it really depends what kind of restaurant you're talking about. pizzerias and the like are always welcoming, the more fanciful places won't really care to have you in the evenings. restaurants don't necessarily have highchairs and kids' menues, which doesn't mean they don't want any children there, though. we go out quite abit with our kids and never had any problems.

<Is it easy to get around with a stroller?>

absolutely no problem, especially since most if not all trams in basel are no 'layed lower' and you don't even have to lift the stroller into the tram.

7. Re: Poss move to Basel with wife & 2 young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 09, 2009