We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fares

niagara
1 post
Save Topic
taxi fares

We arrived at the airport (in Basel) at around 12 noon, and grabbed a taxi to the Ramada Inn on Messeplatz 12. I did'nt think it took that long, but I was charged 80.Swiss Francs. In converting that to $canadian, I thought I was ripped of. Any comments from anyone? Thank you

p.s. we are going back again in July for a 16 day cruise on the Rhine, and Danube.

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
switzerland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi fares

no, i don't think you were ripped off. taxis are very expensive here.

you can always check the meter to be sure.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi fares

normaly the airport-center of city is half that.

check it here:

http://www.33ertaxi.ch/index.cfm?pageID=1573

it is 5.20 plus 4.20 per km. it is about 5 kilometers as the crow flies from the airport to your hotel.

all and all, you should have payed about 35 to 40 francs.

so if the taxi was not waiting for you, i am very afraid that you were horribly ripped off!

which is very sad, because ubtil now the swiss taxis were trustworthy. so, if it was a swiss taxi and you have a receipt then you might want to complain.

if it was a french taxi, i would not bother, cut your losses and take a swiss one next time.

i am so very sorry that you started your trip like that...

Tak

3. Re: taxi fares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 30, 2009