We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dock to Train Station?

Atlanta
1 post
Save Topic
Dock to Train Station?

I have a similar problem. I need to get a group of 10 off the Avalon Tapestry on June 15 and into Zurich downtown area. I thought perhaps the train was the best bet? If so, how do I get them from the dock to the Basel central rail station? Does anyone know of any service that would transport a group this size with their (considerable) luggage? Either to the Basel train station OR right into Zurich?

PS- Had been wrongly advised that Globus would transfer us all to the Zurich airport and we could catch cabs from there! JUST advised today when I doublechecked on something else that they now charge $35 per person for that transfer AND you have to be leaving on the same day!

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dock to Train Station?

again it depends on where you are docking and how much luggage you are carrying. the most probable dock is Kleinhünningen and from there it is 300 meters to rthe tram station.

if this is too much to do, then you can ask for a taxi (most firms have small buses that carry from 8 to 17 people).

ask for an offer 8either to Basel sbb or to the airport)here:

http://www.33ertaxi.ch/index.cfm?pageID=1625

www.taxi-zentrale.ch/index.cfm?pageID=1570

http://taxibasel.com/bestellung.htm

I know it is in german, but write to them in english, there will not be a problem and if there is then ask again in the forum.

after you get the offers, contact sbb and ask how much the ticket will cost (for 10 people they have special prises so far as I know)

www.sbb.ch

Hope this helps to get you strated

Tak

Basel
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dock to Train Station?

Your boat might dock on the Grossbasel side. If so there's also a tram (No 11) on that side from near the dock directly to the station (about 15 mins). From the other dock the No. 8 takes about 20 mins.

There's a direct train to Zurich Airport from Basel main station at 42 mins past the hour until 19:42, and numerous other connections changing at Zurich main station. The station is underneath the airport, and you can take luggage trolleys on the escalators with you (only these ones, don't try it in Basel).

There are ticket machines at the station, and the staff at the ticket office can all IME speak English. If you need to buy a ticket and time is short, you can get on the train and pay the conductor. There's a small extra charge for doing this, but if s/he's in a good mood s/he might not charge you.

Public transport in Switzerland is excellent, you really don't need to worry about your transfer. Enjoy your cruise!

3. Re: Dock to Train Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 29, 2009