We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Hi, I will be in Basel for 1 day mid of next month, for leisure, in between business.

Was looking for a nice hotel, trying to choose between Swissotel or Ramada.

Ramada is slightly higher in price even though it is 4* compared to Swissotel which is rated as 5* but I read very good reviews from the forum.

Any views from those who knows the place? Or are there other choices?

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

ramada is a very good hotel but away from teh action and the center in an area that can look a bit gloomy at night if there is no exhibition going on (it is near and caters mostly for the exhibition center)

dito swissotel.

from locality, I would propose the sas radisson or the Hotel Basel(dead bang in the middle of the city)

and of course the very expensive les trois rois if you can afford it. see if you can find any reviews for these three. I can not really say about the quality - i tend to stay at home in Basel :-)I know though that the people in all three hotels are friendly.

tak

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Ramada is spectacular, as ist is the tallest building in Switzerland. Swissotel has a very good service and in my opinion the better cuisine.

Both hotels are situated a little bit away from the city center, in a part of the city which is not very beautiful for sightseeing ( 10 minutes by tram no. 6)

I's prefer Hotel BASEL, right in the middle of the city, if you are staying just for 1 day. This way you live very close to the old city center with it's narrow lanes and old houses and cosy restaurants. The quality of the hotel is not bad either, but the standard is slightly lower than the others. But it is cheaper and more personal.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

If you are staqying over the week end, check this offer by basel tourism:

www.basel.com/en/offer.cfm…

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Avoid the city for April 3 - 10, 2008.

There will be the baseelWorld, the biggest watch and jewellry fair worldwide, and you won't find a single bed. Horribly expensive.

Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Hi, thanks to all for the helpful replies.

I will be there from 15-16 April.

I read the forum and everyone said that Ramada was very unique and worth a try - spectacular view, glass window from bottom to ceiling, modern decor, & unique bathroom lighting, but the room a bit small. Swissotel is Ok but nothing spectacular.

I didn't choose SAS radisson because there were a couple of negative review, but I will take a look at Hotel Basel which seems to be a popular choice from most of you.

Many thanks to all !!

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

ramada is indeed very modern and as you described, just not in a nice area.

bearing in mind that trams run until half past midnight, it is not an area I would like to walk to and it is then about 30 minutes from the center.

Of course there are always TAXIs.

tak

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

another cute hotel very near the center is this:

www.teufelhof.com/TheTeufelhofBasel.php

i have only been to the restaurant, which is very good, I do not know about the hotel^-mätzli do you know anything about it?

tak

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Teufelhof has every room designed differently by different artists. I guess it is rather expensive, but the quality and the location are outstanding, as well as the cuisine.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

gal mätzli? it must be beautiful.

It is a pity we do not get to stay in these hotels, maybe we could ask the basel tourismus director

(P. knows him) to pay us for staying in these hotels -starting with the trois rois ;-) -so we can write about them in TA

hehehehehehe cunning, huh?

Tak

Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice of Hotel - Swissotel or Ramada Plaza or ?

Thank you, Taksidiotis & Matzli for all your suggestion.

I check the rates for Hotel Basel, and Teufelhof. Yes, they are very convenient, nice & unique, but the room rates are much higher than Ramada & Swissotel.

Since I will not be staying up late in the night, I think it is ok to stay a bit off centre, but I will consider Radisson SAS, since it is located much nearer to the old town.

Cheers,

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Basel