We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport taxi at night

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Airport taxi at night

Hello,

I will arrive in Basel at very late night. Could you please advise if there are any taxi available at airport during that time? My flight arrive at 22.30 p.m.

I will stary at Mercure Europe Basel Hotel. How is this hotel? Why most of hotel are booked out during week of May 7 - 11?

Thanks,

Kris

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport taxi at night

Most probably there will be Taxis, since there are flights arriving.

You could also take the BUS 50 to the railroad station (runs until midnight) and from there tram Num. to Marktplatz and then tram num. 6 to your hotel.

I do not know the hotel, but it is a bit “far” from the centre and in the “bad” side of the city.

The quote marks are there because “far” is relevant in a small city like Basel and you will be getting your free tram ticket from the Hotel (mobility card). “bad” because you will be in klein Basel (lesser Basel on the RHS of the Rhein) which has a bit of reputation.

The red light area is there (not near your hotel) and there is more petty criminality etc. than in gross Basel (great Basel on the LHS of the Rhein). But just the normal precautions of being in a city at night are enough.

The only thing that comes in mind between 05-11 may is the Jugendchor international festival. I thinkit starts on teh 5th until the 20th of may. I cannot think of anything else, except that basel is so gorgeous that peopel arrive by the thousands .-)? I sure hope so.

I hope I helped you a bit, ask if you want more Info.

tak

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport taxi at night

Thanks for your advise.

I was in Basel couple of time but had never stayed in this hotel. Ramada is my favorite but this time it was fully booked :(

I love Basel as the city has its own charming, and am now finding friendly from people living there.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport taxi at night

Thank you for your kind words - I love Basel myself, it is a great city.

So since you have been staying at the Ramada you know the area. The Mercury Europe is very near.

Tak

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport taxi at night

hallo Timo, I am sorry I did not know this yesterday.

it seems that since december 2006, there is a new Bus (52) that goes from the airport to badischer bahnhof and from there to the Hotels ramada etc.. and to the messe center. Which is where about your hotel is. I am sorry i do not have more info on that since it is very new, but do ask the driver he will help.

I do hope you will read this

tak

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport taxi at night

Dear Tak,

Thanks for update info. I am so exciting to visit Basel in week after next.

Kris

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport taxi at night

Hello Kris,

Tak has asked me to post the following tip for you...

The no.50 bus doesn't cost you anything if you have your hotel confirmation with you. We've been to basel 3 times and never spent a penny on public transport. Our hotel (Au Violon) issued us with a free travel pass each time - I think this is available to all tourists staying in Basel.

If you are catching that bus, just head over to the right when you exit the airport terminal and the bus stop is just there..

Basel is a lovely place to visit - have a wonderful time!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport taxi at night

Hi maudsters

Thank you very much. I have hotel confirmation number, hope that could help.

Kris

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport taxi at night

To be quite honest, each time we've been, I've got onto the bus clutching our hotel confirmation (as advised by our hotelier) but the driver has never shown any interest in seeing it anyway!

In fact on the third occasion, I don't think I even bothered trying to show him...

Have something with you just in case, though!

9. Re: Airport taxi at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 31, 2009