We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel Zoo

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Basel Zoo

Hello again!

When my husband and I come to Basel in May we want to visit the Zoo. I have found the website, and found helpful information on it (with the little German I have learned so far). I do have a question: can people pack picnic lunches to take to the zoo if they want to spend the day? I think I saw on the zoo website that they do have a restaurant. I was just wondering if bringing in your own food is allowed.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Winterthur
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel Zoo

i don't think, that they will let you eat your own food in the restaurants...

i also didn't find anything about this on their homepage, and since it is quite a while since i last visited this zoo (must have been 20 years ago), i can't remember, if they do have any places where you could picnic....

but if you can eat without a table, i am sure you can find a place to sit in there...

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel Zoo

Yes, you can pack your own pick nick nad have either in one of the benches or little "parks" inside the zoo, or at the restaurant. but then you must sit on the front tables or the first row of tables (oh it is difficult to explain) at the bottom of the stairs. Just ask if you are not sure. these tables are reserved for families bringing their own food.

My husband remembers many pick nicks there when he was achild. There were three children in teh family and it could get expensive so always a pick nick was packed. However -and this is a must - you have to buy the Gasparini ice creams. they are made in basel in basel, are the same the last 1000 years (i mean the recipee is) and it is a cult product in basel and a must for everyone who visit the Zoo.

sent an email, most probably I can join you for a walk there, if you want.

I love the zoo and go very often.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel Zoo

Taksidiotis,

Thank you for this information. My husband and I enjoy going to the zoo where we live, and we usually pack a lunch to take with us. In nice weather, it is fun to walk around and enjoy ourselves for a day. We will plan to do the same thing in Basel.

And thank you for the advice on the ice cream. It must taste wonderful! We will make sure to try it. And if you do have time to meet us there, it would be wonderful! I have tried to send you a message, but I don't know if it worked or not.

Thank you again (now I will go to bed and dream about ice cream) :)

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
4. Re: Basel Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Basel