We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Is the Euro readily accepted as currency in Switzerland or will I need to purchase Swiss Francs before I leave for my trip?

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

You don't need to buy CHF before leaving for your trip - you can easily use ATM (check your service provider conditions and possible restrictions), or change whatever currency in Switzerland at some bank counter.

Legal tender in Switzerland are CHF. Shops can, many do accept EUR, but usually at not attractive to bad exchange rates. And return change in CHF.

Consider using a debit or credit card, but have at least some CHF for small purchases.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Thank you, that's most helpful.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,719 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Also see "Top Questions about Switzerland" on the RH tool bar of this page... "Which currency to use in Switzerland"

We are not members of the Euro zone. And the Swiss franc is arguably the strongest currency in the world.

Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Euros were happily accepted in Switzerland. Euro CHF conversion was 1 : 1.10 but it was never given to us when exchanging currency that it is almost same. Best to get a multi currency ATM card from your bank / provider.

5. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 29, 2017