We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit Switzerland

Mauritius
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit Switzerland

hello

my wife and i are planning a trip to switzerland for atleast 2 weeks in 2007.....i would be grateful if someone could tell us what is the best time to visit switzerland......when we could get some bargains in hotel rooms etc......when there are not many tourists....thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Do you want to know the best time to visit Switzerlan OR the time when hotel rooms are cheap and there are few tourists? Because these times are mutually exclusive.

Early october is often a nice compromise.

Mauritius
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

thanks altamiro......the best time in terms of getting good bargains for the hotel room....would not like to visit during tourist season though...thanks again

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,348 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

HI ginger1970,

Peak tourist time is July-August, and a bit into September. And of course that's usually a good time to visit, as the weather is fine and there are lots of music festivals and events going on.

You can find good hotel bargains in May or in October, and of course that's when the weather is turning and your stay may be rained out! You should be ok on the plains or in the south (Vaud or the Ticino), but a trip to the mountains in October may be a problem.

Good luck!

s

Mentioned in this post
Canton of Vaud
Canton of Vaud
Switzerland
Canton of Ticino
Canton of Ticino
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Mauritius
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

many thanks swandav

UK
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hello Everyone,

On the same topic, how good/ bad is March, Easter time for visiting switzerland ?

And if we have only 3/4 days to spare what are the top spots to visit ?

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

I prefer Late May and early June for the contrast in colours os snowy mounatins and flower bedecked green fields. I also like September as the air has a special clarity. September and October have had some of the best weather in the past few years.

March can be unpredictable as easter is early this year the ski resorts will be fully open.

Dubai
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

hi , i m planning to travel to in november ? is the right time to travel ? plz help .

8. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 12, 2009