We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Piscataway, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Hi,

Any relevant answers to the two questions below would help.

1. I will be travelling from the US to Zurich and will then take a train to Rome. Is it possible to book online train tickets on SBB and apply the Swiss saver flexi pass? Which option should I choose for this? I am hoping that I can book online saying that I have a pass, and buy the pass when I reach Zurich, and then use it on the train. Is this possible?

2. Also, while I am trying to book on SBB, it is not showing any seat number for the trains which require a reservation. It is just showing window or aisle seat reference. Am I not supposed to get a seat number for trains requiring reservation when I book tickets online?

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Are you going to use the swiss flexi pass for traveling around switzerland? Then you could purchase ticket from Swiss border to Rome?

You might also want to check out http://www.italiarail.com/ as well. Sometimes this site is cheaper.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Hi all,

My wife and i will be traveling in Switzerland from 30th May 2014 till 1st June 2014. We are not sure whether to purchase a Swiss Pass or not.

Our itinerary is :

30th May 2014 - Basel Airport - Basel Train Station SBB - Lauterbrunnen

31st May 2014 - Lauterbrunnen - Schilthorn - Lauterbrunne

1st June 2014 - Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken - Lake Brienz Cruise - Interlaken - Bern - Bern Airport ( our flight to Munich is at 4.40 PM) .

My questions is :-

is it worth it to buy a swiss pass for the above itinerary;

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Hairul

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Hairrul I;ll give the almost standard reply to your question. You just have to do the maths to see if it works for you. Use the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en and remember the default fares are half price fares. If you buy the Swiss Pass it gives you far more than train travel, However it is not always the best pass.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Hairul,

My answer is a little more complicated. I agree, do the math. However, given your current itinerary, I think I would be less likely to buy a swiss pass. Given your current plan, it might be less expensive to buy tickets. While you have to purchase individual tickets, you only have to buy a few. You should never buy a ticket for the Schilthorn until the day of the trip. What if it is cloudy and rainy? You will have waisted the money. Personally, I would not want to spent abt 100 bucks and ride up into fog rain or snow! I would opt for the individual tickets in your situation. In any case, you don't have to purchase a Swiss pass until you arrive in Basel. So you can do the math, look at the weather forcast when you arrive and make your decision. Have a great trip!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,275 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

With your itinerary it doesn't look to me as though you will save much - if anything - by buying a pass. And you also need to know that the Swiss pass does not include the part of your Lauterbrunnen/Schilthorn/Lauterbrunnen day... it will get you up to Mürren but from there on up you will only get a 25% discount on the cable car fare. So that is something else to factor into your plans.

You also need to take into account the fact that you do not need to go from Interlaken to BERN to then get to the airport. The airport is closer to Thun and you can change in Thun for a bus to the airport which will be cheaper than going all the way to Bern and then back out again. On the SBB site the airport is referred to as Bern Flughafen or Bern Airport.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Discount to Schilthorn with Swiss Pass is 50%.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

Thanks Swisslover, Marb E, Hambagahle, you all gave very useful info .

Yup, i should not buy the mountain ticket too early before checking the weather .

Thanks Hambagahle, about Thun. I really don't know that Thun is nearer to the Bern airport then the Bern Train Station itself, so your info is very valuable.

8. Re: Swiss pass and how to apply it on online bookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 07, 2015