We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

*I tried to post this earlier but can't find it, so I apologize if it posted twice.

We will be flying in and out of Milan but are planning to spend a lot of time in Switzerland (points forced us to do this).

Here is our tentative schedule:

Day 1: Milan (arrive around 9AM, can walk around some before taking train) to Lake Como

Day 2: Lake Como

Day 3: Lake Como to Bellinzona (I really want to see a castle)

Day 4: Bellinzona (is 1.5 days good enough for here or should we stay another night for 2.5 days)?

Here is where I need help. After Bellinzona we want to have a base town for 4 nights/3 full days to cut down on traveling. We are looking for a good hiking town and was thinking either Wengen or Grindelwald. We are big hikers and can handle challenging hikes. Then heading back to Milan the night before we fly out. Which do you recommend for hiking? Or is there another town you think is better?

Thank you in advance!

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

What time of year?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

We would be there at the end of August through the beginning of September.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

Definitely Wengen. Grindelwald will be overrun by tourists. It's quite a larger town. Wengen is a car free village up in the mountains. And the time you are going is about the best time of year, weather-wise.

Your post looks quite familiar, I think you PMed me and I sent you my long write up on the Bernese Oberland region. If not, send me a PM and I'll send it to you (I need your email address).

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

I did PM you and thank you so much! I scanned everything and am going to take more time the next couple of weeks to read everything in detail. That information is going to be very helpful.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

We had a change in plans and I would really appreciate a second opinion:

Day 1: Milan-Montreux

Day 2 Montreux, Chillon Castle - Is this worth a day of our trip??

Day 3: Montreux-Wengen (leave in the morning to have time to walk around Wengen and relax)

Day 4: Wengen- hike

Day 5: Wengen-hike

Day 6: Wengen-hike

Day 7: Lake Como

Day 8 Como-Milan, leave

We're still planning out our hikes but will be for sure based in Wengen on those days.

6. Re: Base City for 3 Days - Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 02, 2015